National, News

1 in 6 Americans aged 14 to 49 has herpes, CDC says

One in six Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 has genital herpes, according to a recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study, which accounts for data collected between 2005 and 2008, found that women and blacks are the most likely to be infected. The prevalence among women was 20.9 percent compared to an 11.5 percent prevalence among men. Additionally, 12.3 percent of whites had genital herpes versus 39.2 percent of blacks.

“This study serves as a stark reminder that herpes remains a common and serious health threat in the United States,” said Dr. Kevin Fenton, the CDC’s National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis director, STD and TB Prevention, in a press release.

Because those with herpes are almost three times more likely to get HIV, Fenton said, “We are particularly concerned about persistent high rates of herpes among African-Americans, which is likely contributing to disproportionate rates of HIV in the black community.”
Students at Boston University said they were surprised by the high rate.

College of Engineering sophomore Christina Lee said, “I think we all know of a friend or two who have had herpes, so we know it’s common, but I didn’t know it was that high.”
Titilayo Fashemi, a junior in Sargent College, said the study can serve as a warning to students.

“If people were aware of the high incidence rate, I don’t think they would have such hasty one-night stands,” she said.

Despite their surprise, most agreed that a lack of caution was responsible for the disease’s prevalence.

“People are just not safe and don’t realize that it’s there until they have a visible symptom,” said College of Arts and Sciences senior Jennie Leikin.

Alex Brown, a senior in Sargent College of Health and Rehabiliation Sciences, said teenagers are having sex earlier, which could be contributing to the problem.

“I think kids are not being cautious anymore,” he said. “They’re taking risks and having unprotected sex at younger ages.”

Fashemi said people don’t realize potential consequences of unprotected sex until it’s too late.

“People aren’t being careful and are going around and having drunken one-night stands,” Fashemi said. “They don’t realize what can happen as a result of their actions.”

To help prevent the incurable and lifelong disease, which can be transmitted even without visible symptoms such as warts or sores, students agreed that simple prudence was necessary.

“We need to increase awareness of how prevalent it is, rather than just saying “you need to wear a condom,'” Brown said.

According to Lee, though, this may be easier said than done.

“People need to be more careful,” Lee said. “But it’s kind of hard because people don’t usually come up front about what they have.”

College of Engineering sophomore Veronica Rodriguez said people should “use protection, get tested regularly and not sleep around too much.”

“[But] no one really wants to face the reality of it,” she added.

College of Arts and Sciences freshman Marie Lanza agreed.

“I don’t think a lot of people think about it or worry about it,” she said.