BU prepares for more rain, Gov. Patrick declares emergency

Rain, rain . . . won’t go away anytime soon, so Boston University Housing officials advised students to take caution.

“The current forecast calls for two more days of rain, with heavy rain expected tomorrow,” wrote Assistant Dean of Students and Residence Life Director David Zamojski in an email to students on Monday night.

“We may experience water leaks into some student accommodations,” it said. “Please take steps to protect your belongings from water damage.”

Gov. Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency on Monday after the National Weather Service forecasted up to seven inches of rain in Massachusetts. President Barack Obama later declared a state of disaster in order to provide federal aid for flood relief.

Typically, the government declares a state of emergency if there’s a situation in which communities must ask for aid, but BU wouldn’t necessarily cancel school because of this, BU spokesman Colin Riley said.

Rain and wind earlier in the month caused leaks and damages in Warren Towers, Myles Standish Hall, 1019 Commonwealth Ave. and Student Village 1, among other buildings, The Daily Free Press reported on March 15.

“If personal items were damaged in the last storm, please make sure to move them to a new location for the next two days to minimize the possibility of their being water damaged again,” the email said.

The email also students that they need to conduct inventories of water-dumped property and hold on to the property in order to complete a Student Property Damage/Loss Claim form. Students should then visit their Resident Life office to obtain a Residence Hall Director’s signature on the form.

Some RAs around campus sent emails to their residents over the weekend concerning remaining water damage. The RAs had been asked to enter rooms and check for damage, leaving a notice of entry, but some chose to ask students for reports instead.

“In an effort to follow up efficiently on any leaks or damages caused by the recent rain storms, we are checking with residents of all rooms/apartments on campus and asking them to report back to us,” wrote Christina Braithwaite in an email to her third-floor Myles residents.

She asked her residents to report unaddressed leaks, unaddressed damage as a result of leaks and new, unreported leaks.

“Our goal is to ensure that all damages are addressed,” she wrote.

Showers are expected through Wednesday.