Islam Awareness Week goes Hollywood

Boston University’s Islam Society celebrated the second day of Islam Awareness Week Hollywood- style.

Screenwriter, director and writer Kamran Pasha detailed his experiences and challenges as one of the first Muslim-Americans in the film and publishing industries at the Islam Society’s “Lights, Camera, Islam! The Story of a Muslim in Hollywood,” held in the School of Education Auditorium on Tuesday before an audience of about 20.

Pasha, most famous for his work on the Showtime Network’s Golden Globe and Emmy-nominated series “Sleeper Cell,”received his MBA from Dartmouth College, his juris doctor from Cornell Law School and a master of fine arts degree from University of California-Los Angeles Film School,according to his website.

He kicked off the lecture by discussing the impact of his family and religious experience at home.

“I came from a tense fundamentalist background,” he said.

Because of his background, Pasha said he was under constant pressure of being “the best Muslim he could be” and pursuing careers that provide “security” such as medicine, engineering and law.

However, Pasha said he was bored by the prospects of such careers and gradually became interested in religious studies and the arts, such as writing.

“Allah is the greatest storyteller,” he said, drawing for the audience a distinct connection between the religion of Islam and the art form of writing.

Throughout his career, Pasha said he faced several hardships because of his Islamic heritage.

He talked about how one of his screenplays, originally meant to be his big break, was canceled in light of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Pasha also faced several critics from his own culture who believed that what he was doing was a “sin.”

Pasha emphasized that regardless of what is commonly accepted as right and wrong, persistence and passion is what will grant fulfillment in life.

Eventually, Pasha said he received his big break when he became the co-producer and writer for the series “Sleeper Cell.”

Pasha then showed a clip of a scene he wrote that, according to him, singlehandedly reshaped many peoples’ views of Muslims.

“I received thousands of emails saying, “this episode has changed my perception of Islam,'” he said.

College of Arts and Sciences junior and Islamic Society President Hassan Awaisi said he really appreciated that Pasha encouraged members of the Muslim community to pursue fields that are viewed by Muslim society as “unconventional” and insecure.

“He encouraged everyone to see they can be a devout and practicing Muslim by using their talents to serve God through arts, film and music,” he said. “By sharing personal stories, Pasha allowed people to identify with him and revealed issues many Muslims are dealing with such as inferiority and modernization.”

Towards the end of the event, Pasha opened the forum for questions and stayed behind to sign free copies of one of his books, “Mother of the Believers.”

“Art is able to penetrate the subconscious and make you feel alive. . . that is its power,” he said.