Thousands gather for Red Sox opener

For die-hard Red Sox fans and first-time Fenway-goers alike, opening day is the beginning of months of madness in Boston.

Thousands of fans converged on Fenway Park Sunday evening to see the Red Sox battle their hated rival, the New York Yankees, in the first game of the season.

Even though not all of them had tickets to the game, fans came out in droves to eat, talk and cheer the Red Sox to victory.

Many of those mingling on Lansdowne Street and Yawkey Way said that draws to the game included the food, the beer and of course, the game. But most said nothing was more exciting than the atmosphere and the gathering of thousands of Bostonians.

“I like the camaraderie of everyone rooting for the same team and booing the Yankees,” said Boston resident Danni Ventre. “It’s a sort of brotherhood that Boston has. It’s one of a kind and it really makes you love the sport, even if you aren’t a big fan.”

Ventre also said attending Red Sox opening day is an essential activity for Boston residents.

“It’s just something you have to do living in Boston,” she said. “I was a Red Sox fan growing up, so I went to a lot of games. It’s kind of a rite of passage.”

Baltimore resident Jennifer Barron, who is originally from Boston, agreed.

“That’s just what you do when you live in Boston. You go to Fenway,” she said.

Ray Ferguson of Lynn said the appeal of attending Red Sox games is a combination of factors.

“It’s the whole atmosphere &- opening day, girls, the home runs and footlongs. I’ve grown up with the Red Sox so I have always loved going to games,” he said.

Not everyone at the game was a lifelong Red Sox fan, however.

“I’m actually a Mets fan, so I’m trying to see the Yankees get crushed,” said Northeastern University freshman Rajat Malik. “It’s my first game at Fenway. I thought it was time to experience the Green Monster.”

Others said the lure of historic Fenway Park made it a sort of Mecca for baseball fans.

“It’s the allure of Fenway,” said Adam Shaw of Fairfield, Conn. “I’m not even a Red Sox fan but I love watching baseball here. I enjoy the crowd and the mix of different people.”

Ralph Slocum of California, who was in town visiting family, brought his two sons to the Fenway area to experience the atmosphere.

“Fenway’s the real deal,” Slocum said. “It’s historic. I’m a Giants fan, but it doesn’t get better than this.”

Emerson College junior Ian Tasso, a lifelong Red Sox fan, said he took a job taking pictures outside of Fenway in order to be near his favorite team.

“Mostly I do it just to be around the park,” Tasso said. “I love the Sox. That’s why I went to school here. I couldn’t leave all this.”

He said his favorite part of the job is seeing the diverse crowd united under one cause.
“For me the best part is the people,” he said. “Everyone here loves the Sox. We all have that in common. It’s really kind of cool.”

Northeastern freshman Jordan Musto said that even though he did not have a ticket to the game, he would not miss the opportunity to hang out outside of Fenway.

“It means a lot to be here,” Musto said. “The Sox have been my favorite team since I could walk. I played baseball my whole life, so being here is kind of a big deal.”

“I love the atmosphere,” he continued. “It isn’t necessarily more important than the game, but it definitely adds to it. You smell Fenway and you know that it’s game time.”