Film & TV, The Muse

Stuck watching the leftovers

If this year in television has seemed a little repetitive, that’s because it really is. Remakes seem to be the go-to move for a number of networks and in many cases audiences are returning to these “fan favorites” for round two. Critics of TV remakes are quick to be harsh, usually citing a lack of innovation and creativity. But, like all the original programming coming in and out of television, some shows fail and some shows make it.

Within the realm of remakes there are three basic kinds of shows:
1) The too-close-for-comfort-quasi-rip-off(i.e. Wife Swap v. Trading Spouses)
2) The distant cousin (CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York, NCIS, NCIS: LA…etc)
3) The second coming (90210, 1990 &’ 2008)
These three formats are distinct in nature, but the end result is the same. We see the same basic show with new faces and a tweaked storyline. Arguably a spin-off is a fourth category. Usually kicking off by following a character from one show to the new show (remember Joey post-Friends?) spin-offs use the same marketable character in new situations once the old, already successful show has gone stale or out of production.
The mentality behind a spin-off is not far from the reasoning used to pitch a remake. As networks scramble to put together programming, the underlying goal of every television show is making money. Expensive sets, costumes, talent and other necessities to genre television add up. The power that comes with a remake is twofold: publicizing and audience familiarity.
So much money is poured into familiarizing a potential audience with a new show that resources are wasted before a show even airs. In theory, remakes have the upper hand over a new show as audiences recognize a familiar story more often than they take time to learn about a new show. Also, programmers hope that by remaking an already popular idea the new show will premier with a built-in audience that is eager to watch.
While some shows have found great success in their return to the small screen, those shows that fail, fail hard. Law &’ Order may be one of the most notorious shows for shamelessly exploiting a relatively unoriginal franchise. Homicide: Life on the Streets came first. Using crossover characters and clever primetime line ups, Homicide became a hit alongside its sister show.
Law &’ Order: Special Victims Unit banks on the classic spin-off technique of a character transfer of Detective Munch from Homicide. NBC managed to hold their audience from one show to the next which led the network to producing a plethora of unoriginal, stale twists on the original Law &’ Order formula. Law &’ Order: Criminal Intent floundered enough to be yanked from network and dropped onto cable. Crime &’ Punishment, the reality spin-off, filled the summer programming void for three years. Law &’ Order: Trial by Jury, Conviction and Law &’ Order: UK are the other three shows that make up only a fraction of what has become the Law &’ Order franchise.
If you think the Hollywood mentality to pick a show that revolves around a familiar archetype or formula was bad enough, remakes and spin-offs are even less original. Now that more of these repeats are being produced, fewer original and fresh show concepts get the green light. The toll that this kind of remake abuse takes on television is not as evident immediately as it is long term. Television is heading in the direction of strict recycling and repetition. Soon we may see original content shows dwindle and drown in an overwhelming sea of tired plots and characters.
This is not to say remakes are not worth the watch. For those remakes that do things right, classic shows worth revisiting are presented in a modern light, capturing a new audience in addition to the long-time fans.
In the meantime, I suggest looking into a subscription to the premium channels if you have not already caved in for the cable package. For now, HBO, Showtime and the like are providing some much needed creative refuge from the lacking lineup of the major networks.