National, News, Politics

Firefighters get drug tests, pay raise in union talks

Boston city officials and members of the Boston Firefighters Union finally came to an agreement on Monday regarding an ongoing battle over random drug testing of firefighters, with firefighters accepting the tests in exchange for a pay increase. If you’re one of those firefighters, it would be wise for you to learn as early as possible on how to pass a drug test.

The Firefighters Union had been rejecting the proposal to employ random drug testing unless firefighters were paid more for it since the idea was introduced in 2007.

After negotiating all weekend, a labor arbiter agreed to introduce a 2.5 percent pay increase, setting their total increase at a 19 percent pay raise from 2006 to 2010. This would be the fifth pay raise in four years if passed by the city council.

While members of the Firefighters Union consider the agreement a success, many outside the organization said they are unhappy with the burden that the cost of the agreement will place on taxpayers. Boston Mayor Thomas Menino expressed unease over the deal in an April 20 press release.

“I am required by law to support this award and to submit its findings to the City Council, who decide whether or not to accept and fund the decision. I am not however bound to stay silent on the facts,” Menino said.

Originally, Boston officials were hoping to enact a 14 percent raise, but negotiations drove the price tag higher.

“This contract provides a 19 percent raise &- which is 5 percent more expensive than the wages provided to other public safety agencies during successful negotiations,” Menino said. “This award will cost taxpayers an additional $74 million. These facts speak for themselves.”

The battle between the city of Boston and the Boston Firefighters’ Union started in 2007 when two firefighters died in a restaurant fire. The firefighters were later suspected to be under the influence.

Following an initial inquiry into the deaths, Boston Fire Commissioner Roderick Fraser urged that the investigation be reopened; however, the Firefighters Union did nothing.

Despite the agreement, the Boston City Council can vote to not fund the proposal if they deem it too expensive.

City Council President Michael Ross said in a statement that the proposal may not get passed by the council due to its high cost.

While the pay raise is the most conflicted element of the deal, other specifics include changes in sick time and health care.

Boston Fire Department officials were not available for comment at press time.