National, News, Politics

Strict Arizona immigration law raises racial profiling concerns

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the nation’s toughest immigration crackdown yet into law on Friday in an effort to control illegal immigration and make it easier to deport those living in the country unlawfully.

The law requires immigrants to carry proof of their immigration status with them at all times and gives the police the power to arrest without a warrant if they have “reasonable suspicion” that someone is in the country illegally, leading some to fear that the law encourages racial profiling.

The law also imposes stricter punishments for those who knowingly transport or hire illegal immigrants.

Immediately upon its passage, the bill sparked controversy over whether it was fair or appropriate, reigniting the heated nationwide debate over immigration reform.

President Barack Obama denounced the bill in a statement to the press, saying it threatened “to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and our communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe.”

In a speech to press and the public, Brewer defended the law, saying it “represents another tool for our state to use as we work to solve a crisis we did not create and the federal government has refused to fix.”

Protesters gathered all over the country to oppose the bill, including a group who brandished signs at the Boston Common on Saturday.

In an April 24 blog post on the Boston University American Civil Liberties Union website, 2009 alumnus and former BU ACLU member Ryan Menezes denounced the law as being “the sort of authoritarianism we’ve so far seen in only history’s most despotic regimes.”

“The law is of course unconstitutional on multiple levels,” he wrote. “Besides violating the Fourth Amendment, the law reaches beyond state jurisdiction. States can’t pass immigration laws any more than they could write foreign policy or sign treaties.”

Student Union President and BU ACLU member James Sappenfield said the law is a violation of privacy.

“It’s like saying people are allowed to strip-search me because they suspect I’m a terrorist,” he said.”It will lead to blatant racial profiling. It’s a ridiculous law.”

Most students said they disagreed with the nature of the bill, regardless of their opinions about illegal immigration.

College of Engineering senior Mikhail Makalski said parts of the law are already more common than people think.

“I’m a legal immigrant and BU recommended I carry copies of my documentation on me for a while,” Makalski said.”This [the law] isn’t something new; it’s already happening in Boston. It’s not a development I’m happy with, but I think these types of laws are going to spread; they’re already in other countries.”

Fran Pickles, a junior in the School of Hospitality Administration, said she believes the law is unfair.

“It allows for racial stereotyping and racist points of view and attitudes, which is exactly what we don’t want in this country so it’s definitely a step backwards more than a step forwards for making anything safer.”

College of Communication freshmen Jessica Maroney said she doubted the efficacy of the new law.

“I don’t know a better way to stop illegal immigration, but I don’t think this is the best solution.”

College of Arts and Sciences freshmen Jimmy Mahoney said, “It reminds me of 1984 by George Orwell.”

Suzanne Schiavone and Meaghan Beatley contributed to the reporting of this article.