City Crime Logs: To Handicap It Off

The following reports were taken from the Boston Police Department news blog from April 24 to April 25.

On April 25 around Morton and Havelock Streets, officers saw a car with a middle-aged man in it parked in a handicapped parking space. He did not have a handicapped permit on his car, so officers pulled over to the man’s vehicle. When he rolled down his window, the officers could smell marijuana coming from the car. “I only have one blunt,” the driver said. “I’ll just hand it to you. You don’t have to search the car.” The officers ignored him and searched both the driver and his vehicle; they found, in addition to a blunt, two large Ziploc bags and four smaller bags with marijuana in it. They also found a digital scale, and $481 in bills. He was arrested on possession of the drugs, three counts for the drugs &- one for possessing, one for attempting to distribute the drug, and one for attempting to distribute it in a school zone.

CIAO CHOW CHOW

At the Chow Chow Restaurant at 83 Essex St., an officer on detail saw a man in his 20s enter the establishment at about 2:29 a.m. on April 24. When the man was standing right near the officer, something dropped out of his pants. The officer looked down and saw a silver gun. The suspect quickly reached down and put the gun back in his waistband. The officer and other police confronted the man and asked him if he had a license to carry the weapon. “No, can I just put it in my car?” the suspect said. The police said no. The man was arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition.

RUNNING MAN

At 12:55 a.m. on April 24, officers saw someone running down the street with a dark sweatshirt and a backpack. As the police followed him to watch his behavior, the man would try to avoid them. The officers learned through the dispatch that a man fitting this runner’s description had recently attempted to steal a purse from a woman on Washington Street. When the officers confronted the man about his activity, he said, “I just like to run here and there.” The victim from Washington Street, however, identified the runner as the one who tried to take her bag. He was arrested for unarmed robbery and assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon.