STAFF EDIT: Community responsibility

Allston hotspot The Kell’s closed earlier this semester following a string of violent incidents, some even resulting in fatalities. And while the violence cannot be named as the sole reason for the sports bar/lounge and dance club’s closing, it surely didn’t help.

It’s important to remember that Kell’s did not close because of the stabbings, but because of a slew of other events that propelled its reputation on a downward spiral. Leading up to the closing, some were calling for weapons checks at the door, and the bar had also been cited for selling to minors. These issues combined with the absurd amount of people that flocked to the establishment on weekend nights caused chaos, unsurprisingly.

Rumors have circulated the Internet for months about Tavern in the Square replacing the spot where Kell’s had stood in Allston since 1990. But, like any good business practice, a lot should be considered before moving in and taking over, especially since the area is prone to problems.

It’s no surprise to anyone that the student population is both at risk and partially responsible for some of the crime that happens in Allston, especially during late hours, but businesses have a community responsibility as well. If Tavern, a restaurant with three other locations in the area, does decide to move into the now vacant space, it will have to take on the responsibilities that Kell’s did not.

Though Boston University students may not be aware of the amount of non-students that reside in Allston, including families and children, there is a community that exists beyond that of the off-campus students, believe it or not. The community is one that the businesses should take into account, despite its nearly invisible presence on the bar scene. Tavern, or whatever company that decides to move into the space, has duty to create a neighborhood-friendly establishment that will allow it to flourish as a business while still keeping its sidewalk clean.