City, National, News

Alleged Craigslist Killer commits suicide

Alleged “Craigslist Killer” Philip Markoff committed suicide Sunday morning in his Nashua Street Jail cell in Boston, police officials said.

Markoff, 24, was pronounced dead by EMS at 10:17 a.m., according to Ed Geary, deputy director at Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department.

Boston Police Department Commissioner Edward Davis and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said in a statment that an investigation into the circumstances of Markoff’s death is underway, though suicide appears to be the cause.

Markoff was alone in his cell and all evidence collected thus far indicates that he took his own life,the statement said.

The former Boston University medical student was charged with the murder of 26-year-old Julissa Brisman, a masseuse he contacted on Craigslist. Prosecutors say Markoff shot Brisman to death at Marriott Copley Place in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood in April 2009. He was also charged with the robbery of another woman at the Westin Hotel. After numerous delays, his trial date was set for March 14, 2011.