Film & TV, The Muse

September movie preview

EASY A
The MUSE got a peek at the script for the movie that's being hailed as the next Mean Girls, and take our word for it &- this is one you should definitely mark on your calendar. With sharp, quick-witted dialogue and a sassy, strong female lead, Easy A, out Sept. 17, looks like it might be the star-making role for Emma Stone, who has previously had noticeable turns in Superbad and Zombieland. The film follows Stone's character, Olive, as she deals with the fallout over lying about losing her virginity to her closeted, gay best friend. Go see this Scarlet Letter derivative as a bonding trip with your new floormates, or just as a celebration that you're no longer suffering through high school.

<em><strong>THE TOWN</strong></em>

If you're new to Boston, or you've been missing the city while you languished at miserable summer job at home for three months, this Sept. 17 release might be just what you need. Shot in and around Boston in 2009, the Ben Affleck-directed The Town (pictured above) is a heist movie in the style of The Departed. Though it does feature plenty of action, expect some substance, too. Affleck's directorial style is only getting stronger, and The Town looks like a great example of that.

<em><strong>BURIED</strong></em>

If your new dorm room has you feeling claustrophobic, SKIP THIS MOVIE. If you're not put off by tight spaces, and you feel like staring at Ryan Reynolds for the literally the entire runtime of Buried, consider catching this interesting little flick, which features Reynolds as an American truck driver in Iraq who wakes up to find himself trapped in a coffin with only a flashlight and a rapidly dying cell phone. The film screened to enthusiastic response at Sundance this year, but the verdict won't really be in until it's released in select theatres on Sept. 24.