Back on the ball

If there was ever a time for oft-injured junior forward Tiya Gallegos of the Boston University women's soccer team to provide an offensive spark &- something that has been missing in the past two losses to No. 5 Boston College and Monmouth University &- the Virginia Nike Soccer Classic this weekend is the perfect opportunity.

The 5-foot-4 striker from Lakewood, Calif., arrived at BU in 2007 with a superb résumé attached to her name, as she tallied 83 goals and 56 assists during her four years at Mayfield High School where she was named Gatorade's Rookie of the Year for her outstanding play as a freshman.

But she has only suffered setback after setback since donning the scarlet-and-white jersey for the Terriers. In 2007, Gallegos netted her first collegiate goal against the University of Vermont on Sept. 30, earning America East Rookie of the Week honors for her game-winning strike versus the Catamounts in the 66th minute. But her freshman campaign would end as soon as it started, as Gallegos suffered a season-ending injury seven games into the season.

2008 wouldn't prove to be any different. Gallegos didn't see any action all season long, but as a redshirt sophomore the next year, she played in 17 contests, netting two goals for a total of four points. This season could be the breakout year Gallegos has been striving for her entire collegiate career &- she has already found the back of the net once through six games when she scored BU's second goal in a 3-0 win over American University back on Aug. 27.

"Tiya is really a player that has had a lot of injuries early in her career," said BU coach Nancy Feldman. "And now she's finally in fantastic shape and healthy and strong as can be. She's physically so strong. She'll play an important role for us as a target player.

"She's strong back to goal. She's still learning what it takes on a day-to-day basis and I know I say that a lot, but it's about being able to bring consistent performances. For some of the kids who are new to the environment or new to playing a lot, it looks easy on the outside. But to do it on a day-to-day basis in practice every day or for whatever competition we face &- away, home, conference, non-conference, physical style teams &- it's really about learning how to get yourself in the right place mentally."

And from the looks of it, Gallegos has certainly been making strides to replace 2010 alumnus Farrell McClernon, who scored 20 goals and dished out 15 assists over 86 collegiate appearances, as one of the Terriers' two forwards in their 4-4-2 formation.

"Tiya's a very important member of our attack," Feldman said. "Her strength and her power are her special qualities."

<strong>Weekend Preview</strong>

It's quite possible that a trip to Charlottesville, Va., for this weekend's tournament is all BU needs to get back on track.

After dropping two consecutive contests to the Eagles and Hawks in a matter of three days, the Terriers (2-4-0) look to rebound when they face two nationally ranked opponents in No. 14 College of William &amp;' Mary on Friday and No. 6 Virginia Sunday afternoon.

It still remains to be seen how the Terrier offense will attack two of the country's stingiest defenses &amp;- William and Mary (4-0-1) and Virginia (4-0-1) have only allowed one goal apiece up to this point. Getting the ball past the Tribe's redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Katherine Yount and the Cavaliers' junior keeper Chantel Jones will be one of the Terriers' toughest tasks of the weekend.

"We plan to get better every day and push each other," Feldman said. "You know what's pretty important year to year? How we learn and how we work to get to know each other in becoming a united team so that at the end, when it matters, we're playing for each other."