Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Union aims to renew BU

The Boston University Student Union outlined its initiatives and goals for the year during its first meeting of the semester Monday night. Members of the executive board announced big plans for this year, with goals ranging from increasing student involvement and strengthening Union's relationship with the administration to improving the reliability of the Boston University Shuttle system.

Their goals are lofty and judging from years past, the likelihood of them all being accomplished is low. However, this year's Union has already made more progress than many would have predicted, throwing the hugely successful GSU Takeover Party and implementing a tracking system for the BUS.

Most of Union's initiatives are aimed at promoting student awareness of and involvement in Union matters. The BUS reform appeals directly to students' concerns and a planned debate over the legalization of marijuana will undoubtedly attract student attention. Additionally, the opening of a new Union office in the George Sherman Union and the implementation of office hours in which students can voice their feedback directly to executive board members show that Union is thinking of ways to get students interested and willing to get involved. Their new, better designed website also streamlines communication between Union and the student body.

The biggest problem with Union in past years has consistently been a lack of interest on the part of the vast majority of the student body. Low attendance at meetings has hampered progress on passing bills and has lowered Union's influence on the administration. If anything can be said about this year's Union, it is that at least they recognize that fact and are working to change it.

The high attendance level at Monday's meeting proves that their attempts are working so far. Although extracurricular participation has a tendency to wane as the school year progresses, this is a good indicator of future success. If Union can keep students interested throughout the year by continuing to plan interesting events and focus on students' views, they will have accomplished their most important goal.

The reason that Union has failed in past years is because they are not in touch with the average student. This year's group of executive board members seems to have a far more down-to-earth approach to Union meetings. If they continue to focus on students needs, they will achieve the first step toward being able to really make a difference on campus&- getting apathetic college students to care.