In the South End, SoWa market brings indie arts and crafts to the open air

Harrison Avenue in Boston's South End is like any other street in Boston &- that is, until Sunday.

It's then that the street's humble parking lots transform into a bustling marketplace, attracting hundreds to wander through the tents, flags, music and overall atmosphere of Boston's South End Open Market &- known by most as SoWa, now in its seventh year.

"It's the best way to spend a Sunday when the weather is beautiful," said Kate Haynes, a resident of South Boston and a returning customer to the market.

The SoWa market, which runs throughout the summer and fall, allows local vendors and artists to showcase and sell their work every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The market is special to the Boston area because it is a recurring market throughout the summer, said crafter Amy Keller from southern Massachusetts.

"You get a following here," said Keller, the creator of Bumble Belly Designs. Keller creates "vintage-inspired wall art, pillows and dog leash racks" by "mix[ing] media using encaustic waxes and altered ephemera," according to Bumble Belly Designs' online shop.

Vendors include "painters, sculptors, photographers, clothing and jewelry designers, milliners, handbag designers, house wares, florists [and] bakers," according to the SoWa website.

The market has been open this season since May 15 and will end on Halloween this year.

The SoWa market is made up of several components including the artists' market, at 460 Harrison Ave., and the SoWa farmer's market, at 500 Harrison Ave.

Admission and parking are free to all customers.

Keller, who participates in other art shows and markets through the summer, said that the SoWa market is "the best art market," and has returned five times over the course of the summer.

Bill Riker, a vendor from Providence, R.I., is in his second year at the SoWa market.

Riker sells a variety of cups and containers made from distorted glass bottles like those from beer and vodka.

Riker has returned to the SoWa market every Sunday this fall, he said.

"[SoWa] seemed like a good market," he said.

He said he participates in art markets and festivals around the area.

"It's about the same as the Boston Arts Festival," Riker said.

Though many vendors habitually return to the market, the SoWa market also draws new vendors each week.

David Richard attended the market for the first time yesterday, selling various pop-culture sweatshirts and T-shirts.

"It seems nice," said Richard. "It's populated, people come out with their animals. It's a good market. I'll probably be back."