Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Don’t ask, don’t act

As so often happens in the polarized political sphere, an important social reform was put on hold Tuesday due to procedural complaints and partisan bickering. The Senate failed to advance debate on a defense policy bill that would have repealed the controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy that bars openly homosexual men and women from serving in the military. Supporters of the bill were four votes shy of the 60 needed to take up the measure.

The vote was, predictably, almost completely along party lines &- with Democrats largely supporting repeal and Republicans unanimously opposing it. The fact that "don't ask, don't tell" was included in the defense spending bill allowed those who voted against it to use the excuse that it was a political trick. But in reality, there is no reasonable excuse for denying any group of people rights, especially when these are people who are willing and able to serve our country.

Because of the current political climate, "don't ask, don't tell" hasn't gotten the attention it deserves from politicians. With critical midterm elections looming, President Barack Obama, who previously vowed to repeal the measure, has been comparatively silent on the issue as it has made headlines in recent weeks, hesitant to alienate voters.

The decision about what to do with the policy should be fairly cut and dry. It is an antiquated measure that has little public support and weakens the U.S. military. But as usual, party politics have blinded our nation's leaders and rendered them incapable of doing the right thing.

The arguments against "don't ask, don't tell" go down to the most basic principles on which the United States were founded. However, policymakers have always been good at denying those principles when it suits their interests. In the Declaration of Independence, our forefathers declared, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Since then, politicians have consistently qualified that statement. Until 1920, women's weren't treated equally under the law. Until the 1960s, all men were equal except for blacks in the eyes of the government. And now, in the 21st century, our leaders still can't bring themselves to treat gays the way they treat everyone else.

The roadblocks put up against the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" are truly a case of the government failing the people, directly contradicting public sentiment to preserve an unjust policy. It is a shame that our elected representatives are so opposed to a change that is inevitable.