W. hockey first in HE poll

The Boston University women's hockey team is expected to win their second Hockey East championship after it was ranked first in the preseason coaches' poll.

BU defeated the University of Connecticut in last year's conference championship to capture its first HE title in just its fifth year as a varsity squad.

The Terriers return five of their top six scorers, including junior defenseman and HE second-teamer Tara Watchorn, senior forward Lauren Cherewyk (12 goals-17 assists--29 points) and sophomore forward Jill Cardella (12-15&-27).

However despite the team's quality returners, headlining the Terriers 2010-11 roster will be its newcomers.

Freshman forward Marie-Philip Poulin and graduate student defenseman Catherine Ward were both members of the gold-medal-winning Canadian national team in the Vancouver Winter Olympics. Poulin was the lone goal-scorer in Canada's 2-0 win over the United States. Joining the pair from up north will be junior forward Jenn Wakefield, a first-year transfer student from conference rival University of New Hampshire.

Given its returning and new talent, the Terriers were not a unanimous selection at the top of HE heading into this season. Boston College received the other two votes of the eight casted by the conference coaches to place second. Providence College, UNH and Northeastern University round out the top five respectively.