ROTC students report for duty, class

Not many Boston University students can say they partake in one-rope bridge, classes in weapon assembly and disassembly and uniformed stunts on the Charles River Esplanade.

However, for School of Management senior Brian Musser, these activities are all part of a typical day as a member of Charles River Battalion, a chapter of the Army Reserve Officers' Training Corp.

The battalion, which is a conglomerate of 10 schools, is divided into A Company, which consists of schools near BU, and B Company, which consists of schools by Stonehill College, Musser explained.

"We currently have approximately 60 cadets enrolled from our BU campus as well another 60 from our 10 affiliated colleges and universities," said Major Mike Allain, the enrollment and scholarship officer, in an email.

Every day, Musser wakes up at 5:36 a.m. sharp, just in time for 6 a.m. morning physical training.

"I've got it down to a science," he said.

From 6 to 7 a.m., he and fellow cadets take part in a series of high intensity "CrossFit" exercises, which consist of push-ups, sit-ups and running, he said.

"It's the principle work-out for marines [which] law enforcement and the army are starting to get into," he said.

On Thursdays, cadets sport their uniforms for Leadership Lab &- a set of radio, medical and rifle marksmanship classes taught on the Esplanade or in 278 Babcock St., depending on the weather &- and Military Science classes in the Kenmore Classroom Building, he said.

"You wear a uniform from the time you walk out of your apartment in the morning until you're done with lab," Musser said.

On top of daily physical training and weekly military labs and classes, Musser periodically spends his weekends training for and competing in Field Training Exercises.

As an operations officer, he plans and trains cadets for FTXs and intends on leading Ranger Challenge, the "varsity sport of ROTC," to victory in an upcoming competition.

"Typically, we always place in the top three, and in my logic, we're going to place first this year," he said. "In Ranger Challenge, 40-odd schools compete against each other in different events like one-rope bridge, weapons assembly and disassembly, PT tests, etc."

Just this weekend, the Ranger Challenge cadets went out to

Fort Devens to practice one-rope bridge, he said.

He explained that one-rope bridge is a system of moving personnel and equipment over obstacles, such as a river or gorge, by anchoring a rope to a tree or rock on either side of the obstacle.

The obvious benefit of an ROTC track is the tuition cut, Musser said, as the program often covers all of a student's tuition.

However, nothing is free.

"Your commitment is four years active duty and four years reserve," he said. "Reserve means you're still an officer in the military but you have a civilian job, in case anything happens. Like after 9/11, a lot of people were called up from the reserves, even though they weren't expected to ever be active."

Allain said that nearly all of BU's cadets continue on to become officers.

"Once cadets progress through ROTC training and reach their senior year, nearly 100 percent commission as second lieutenants upon receiving their bachelor's or master's degree," he said.

"Army ROTC offers a unique commission opportunity compared to West Point and Officer Candidate School," he said. "Thanks to the academic rigors and positive social environment of a university like BU, ROTC cadets enter the Army well prepared for the challenges that they face as Second Lieutenants."

"Some of the top four-star Generals in U.S. Army history have been ROTC products, such as Colin Powel and current Army Chief of Staff George Casey Jr.," Allain said.

Musser said he views his future with confidence.

"I think there's a strong possibility our class will be deployed to Afghanistan and all of us are ready to go, ready to execute the command of the president," he said. "Serving your country is one of the fundamental duties of a good citizen, and frankly I'm lucky I've found something I like so much."