Film & TV

Never Let Me Go: Cinematographic Art

<em>Never Let Me Go</em> &amp;- rather than being your average dramatic love story &amp;- is a science-fiction novel that melds together the morally ambiguous subject of organ donation with a struggling romance triangle between three socially impaired characters. It is an emotionally enticing movie that, regardless of its crude nature, manages to reinstate the everlasting value that love has been given over time.

Adapted from Kasho Ishiguro's highly acclaimed novel, Mark Romanek's film boasts picturesque scenery and enthralling cinematography. Its intimate acting, believable from beginning to end, makes it impossible to stop watching; it compensates for the slow progression encountered in the second half. Even more, despite the lack of a powerful climax, the profoundness of each scene is so captivating that it transmits the characters' feelings.

In the first scene, after simplistic angst-building opening credits, we meet Kathy H., one of the three characters around which the movie revolves. She introduces herself as a "carer," her occupation for the past 11 years. Immediately after, in a confusing change of events, we are taken to Hailsham Institute around 1958, a boarding school raising students scientifically created to become organ donors. Kathy, Ruth and Tommy, attending Hailsham , experience a strict, solitary and socially impaired childhood. The symmetrically arranged scenes counteract the complicated story line to make us feel as confused as the protagonist.

As the plot continues&amp;-in a slow, but steady manner&amp;-the three teenagers are moved to "The Cottages," where the last of their "modeling" will take place. Here, where they are supposed to experience more of reality we begin to see scenes such as Kathy looking at porn magazines, and Ruth and Tommy having sex.

The film becomes even lengthier as there is a transition from "The Cottages, to when Kathy goes on to become a "carer," whilst Ruth and Tommy await their donations. The film continues in a tortoise-like pace, lacking a potent climax; but it is with the intensely emotional scenes and engrossing music that we can become immersed in Kathy's feelings as her final days as a "carer" arrive. She must undergo the pain of watching Ruth's buoyant personality fade away slowly after several donations. Also, in what is possibly the most riveting scene of the film, we see Tommy agonizing over his failed attempt at delaying his last donation, while Kathy desperately tries to calm him and keep herself composed. It is with this scene, near the end of the novel, that we can realize how powerfully the adequate use of soundtrack and cinematography can make us feel.</p>