Panel: ?important? for students to learn about elections and gov race

Being politically aware will help students have more of a say in policies that affect their every day lives, political analysts said on Thursday.

About 50 Boston University students and community members gathered in Metcalf Hall at "Educating the Bay State's Next Governor" to hear a panel of experts analyze BU students' questions addressed to candidates in the Massachusetts governor's race.

Over the summer, representatives from the Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center taped nine BU students asking questions addressed to the four candidates in taped interviews.

"The goal was to bring information to the students and the community of BU," said Sean Noel, the assistant director for the HGARC. "Not only the specifics, but the whole process of becoming an informed voter. It was a very involved process. It took a good part of the summer to plan."

Assistant professor of mass communication John Carroll, who moderated the panel, said he contacted the candidates &- Democrat Deval Patrick, Republican Charlie Baker, Independent Tim Cahill and Green-Rainbow Party nominee Jill Stein &- with the student questions.

After the videos were edited, Caroll said five of the nine questions the students asked were presented to the panel at the forum.

The students' questions ranged from subjects such as green energy to tax reform.

The biggest issue at hand, however, was not directed at the candidates. The panelists instead focused on the importance of becoming an informed voter. All of the panelists agreed that there was a severe lack of voter involvement in political affairs.

"As a voter, you must take the extra steps to make decisions and opinions [about the candidates]," said WBUR political analyst Todd Domke. "Fifty percent of people don't vote and some of the rest aren't as informed as they should be. We all need to do more."

"It is a responsibility for every voter to vote," added The Bay State Banner publisher Mel Miller. "Politicians come and go, but you have to work really hard for the issues that most interest you and concern you."

David Bernstein, a reporter from The Boston Phoenix, addressed reasons for the lack of political involvement.

"I know there's a lot of cynicism, but government is actually a really good thing. It's good, smart people trying to do good work," he said. "There's so much information out there for those people that vote. It's not hard for people to go out and vote. They just don't do it."

Matthew Stern, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences and a BU College Republicans spokesman, offered his opinions on student involvement in politics.

"It is truly important to learn about the election and even more important to dig deeper to learn the facts about this race," Stern said in an email. "It is important for students to become educated about the candidates' backgrounds, experiences and their platforms."

"Learning about the election is extremely important, especially for students," Emily Keller, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences and a BU College Democrats spokeswoman, said in an email.

"We live here nine months out of the year, and voting is the easiest way to make your voice heard," she said. "Learning about the candidates will help you to know who will do the most for students and who is passionate about the issues you care about. Being an educated voter means that you can have a say in what happens in Massachusetts, Boston and BU itself."

<em>-Correction-</em>

<em>It was incorrectly stated that Matthew Stern was at the forum and agreed with Boston Phoenix reporter David Bernstein's remarks. Additionally, Stern is a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, not the College of Communication. The story has been edited to reflect these changes. </em>

To submit a correction, email editor@dailyfreepress.com.