Patrick, Baker locked in dead heat, poll shows

A Boston Globe/University of New Hampshire poll from last week shows Gov. Deval Patrick and his Republican opponent trapped in a virtual deadlock.

However, another survey from a similar time period shows Patrick, a Democrat, maintaining a six point lead over Republican Charlie Baker.

The Globe poll of 471 likely voters surveyed from Sept. 17 to 22 found that 35 percent of voters plan to cast their ballot for Patrick on Nov. 2, while 34 percent say they'll vote for Baker.

This one-point lead is well within the sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Eleven percent of voters say they'll vote for independent candidate Tim Cahill, the poll found.

Patrick's campaign sought to use the poll to motivate Democratic voters.

"Globe poll confirms what we already know- the race is close, + we need your help to win!" tweeted Doug Rubin, a senior advisor to the governor, on Sunday.

But a poll from the Western New England College Polling Institute found that Patrick is leading Baker by six points, garnering 39 percent of the vote to Baker's 33 percent.

The poll, taken of 402 likely voters from Sept. 19 to 23, shows Cahill garnering 16 percent of the vote.

The margin of error for the poll is plus or minus five percentage points.