Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Reaching a settlement

A 10-month moratorium on construction of Jewish settlements in the West Bank expired Sunday night, signifying a potential breaking point in the peace talks between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

Historically, peace talks between the Israelis and the Palestinians have not gone well. The latest round of negotiations, which are the first direct talks in two years, find the two groups searching for a peaceful two-state solution in light of a controversial settlement building initiative by Israelis in the Israeli-

With the expiration of the moratorium, Israelis are now free once again to build in the disputed area, a development which has caused Abbas to threaten to leave the conversation if building resumes. Meanwhile, Netanyahu has urged Israelis to show restraint with regard to further building, while failing to stand up to pressure from politicians to allow building to resume.

The Israeli government should extend the moratorium further in order to allow Netanyahu and Abbas talk out possibilities for the potential border between Israel and a Palestinian state. Extending the moratorium should not be seen by the Israelis as a matter of giving in. It is simply the fairest thing to do at this time. And more importantly, it is the practical thing to do in order to keep both parties at the table.

At a time when peace talks are going better than they have in years, the leaders of both countries need to seize on this moment to ensure that talks continue to progress. Netanyahu needs to extend the moratorium in spite of what others say, as it is the only chance of the Palestinians continuing to negotiate. Abbas needs to encourage his people to listen to the Israeli point of view. And both sides need to be willing to compromise.

Despite a recent Time magazine cover story entitled "Why Israel Doesn't Care About Peace," the majority of people on both sides of the conflict would like to see nothing more than a peaceful two-state solution. In times of conflict, people need to be able to look to their leaders to make responsible decisions that are not only in their own country's best interests, but in the best interest of the world at large. Extending the housing moratorium would allow the Israelis and the Palestinians a chance to work out a solution. Although reconciliation between two parties with such an extreme history of animosity may be a long shot, there is at least a chance that Netanyahu and Abbas can help work out a solution that will bring some degree of peace.