City, Film & TV, News

BU student hit by car on Comm. Ave.

A female Boston University student was struck by a car at about 12:20p.m. on Thursday while crossing the street by the intersection of Commonwealth Avenue andGranbyStreet, theBUPolice Department said.

The student was hit about eight feet west of the crosswalk located near 675 Comm. Ave., BUPD Captain Robert Molloy said.

Molloy said the student was walking with two friends at the time and started to cross from the median on Comm. Ave. Her friends went back to the median when they saw a car coming, but the student did not get back in time, Molloy said.

The student appeared to have suffered head injuries and was transported by ambulance to Brigham and Women’s hospital, where she was reportedly conscious, Molloy said.

The car, a black Volvo with a Pennsylvania license plate, had a large concave dent on the passenger side of the windshield. Molloy said the driver was not cited.

Three BU students certified as emergency medical technicians treated the woman on the scene before authorities arrived.

The student EMTs said the driver, who they said is also an EMT, got out of his car immediately to see if the woman was OK.

Sean Finn, a College of Communication sophomore, said he was standing outside of Starbucks and saw the woman get hit by the car as she crossed the street from the median in the middle of Comm. Ave. toward the Campus Trolley food truck.

Witnesses reportedly saw the woman being thrown through the air and then striking the pavement.

“I was walking on Comm. Ave. . . she was crossing. I just saw her body just being flown,” said College of Arts and Sciences junior Tara Pine. “She threw her cup and then I just saw the body on the floor and she’s bleeding by her face.”

Pine said she saw the woman bleeding from her nose and around her face.

“I was waiting for the train and I heard the sound first, and I looked over and the girl was on the car and flew off to where she was. My friend Katie Biegler is an EMT and she ran over to help,” said School of Management freshman Caitlin Seele.

Biegler, an SMG freshman, said that she went over to help immediately.

“I saw her get hit and then I came running over,” Biegler said. “First thing I did was I tried to hold spine stabilization, just to make sure that she didn’t move, kept telling her not to move, I was also…doing the mental assessment to see where she was and then I started taking vitals.”

EMT Courtney Tarleton, a CAS sophomore, arrived second and called 911 after seeing Biegler checking the woman’s vitals and responsiveness. EMT Felicia Nguyen, a junior in CAS, was also on the scene.