Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Facing the consequences

When Rutgers University freshman Tyler Clementi jumped off the George Washington Bridge on Sept. 22, the country paid attention. Front-page headlines told the story of a shy undergraduate who saw suicide as the only way out after his roommate broadcast Clementi’s sexual encounter with another man live on the Internet.

Clementi’s case was one of five publicized instances in the last three weeks of a gay teenager committing suicide following harassment from his peers, including two suicides by boys who were as young as 13 years old.

This string of tragedies needs to serve as a wake-up call to the American public, proclaiming loudly that though we may claim to be a tolerant nation, homosexuality is still a taboo topic and gays are still being unfairly, and in this case dangerously, targeted.

Many Americans wonder why the legislature has still failed to repeal the controversial “don’t ask, don’t tell policy”, which prohibits openly gay individuals from serving in the military, despite polls that overwhelmingly indicate that as much as three-quarters of the U.S. is against the policy. But is it really surprising when America’s youth, who are supposedly the most tolerant generation to date, cannot even treat their peers with respect?

The two Rutgers freshmen who were responsible for broadcasting Clementi’s sexual encounter seem to be average college students. They are probably reasonable, tolerant people. It is highly possible that if asked whether they believe homosexuality is wrong that they would say no. But in a culture that finds humor in humiliation, they probably thought it is acceptable to laugh at another’s expense, especially if that person is gay. And that belief has proved to have disastrous consequences.

Now, both are facing charges of invasion of privacy that could carry a maximum of five years in prison. The possibility of whether or not they could face charges related directly to Clementi’s suicide has not yet been determined. Additionally, a representative from Rutgers said that the students will face disciplinary action.

The fact that harassment like this still occurs in the 21st century is completely unacceptable. Every generation has to deal with issues of discrimination. For our Baby Boomer parents, it was getting civil rights for blacks. For young people today, it is essential to address the issue of discrimination against gays &- whether they are fighting in the military or simply trying to attend school in peace. Most young people know that everyone deserves to be treated with respect. It is time we all act on that principle.