Homicides on the rise in Boston, BPD reports

The police district that includes Boston University’s East Campus has seen a nearly 11 percent increase in robberies from last year, according to a statement by the Boston Police Department.

In the district covering Allston/Brighton, burglaries rose more than 32 percent.

However, violent crime stayed constant in the BU area, according to the BPD report, even as Boston saw a 28 percent increase in homicides throughout the city overall.

Crime decreased in Boston as a whole, even as homicides and burglaries swelled.

The report, released last week before the quadruple homicide in Mattapan was logged, compares seven types of BPD-reported crimes in 2010 through the last Sunday in September with the same time period in 2009.

All rapes, robberies, larcenies, burglaries and vehicle thefts are tabulated in the report, as well as attempts of these crimes. Total homicides and aggravated assaults are also included.

Many experts said there is no clear reason why the spike in crimes has occurred.

“I certainly think that the economic situation contributes to crime. People who have legitimate jobs are less likely to commit crimes,” said Susan Eckstein, a professor of Sociology and International Relations in the Boston University Department of Sociology.

Age and race are other factors that contribute to crime, Eckstein said.

Students should take precautions as they walk around BU, particularly at night, said Colin Riley, a BU spokesman.

This is an urban area, and students should use precautions,” Riley said. “Don’t walk alone, and tell someone where you’re going. Just use common sense and be on the lookout. Be aware and don’t be lulled into a false sense of complacency, because these things do happen here.”