Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Acting on the Clery Act

The release of the Boston University Police Department’s annual report on crime statistics last Monday attempted to give a picture of the total amount of various types of crimes occurring on BU’s campus in 2009. The report is required to include statistics on every documented case of manslaughter, sex offenses, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft and arson on campus.

The findings of the report were diverse. It addressed damages from fires for the first time, putting the cost at over $600,000. Additionally, the number of reported robberies on campus increased from one in 2007 to six in 2009 and the number of aggravated assaults on campus increased over the same time from two to five.

In one area, however, the statistics seemed promising. According to this year’s report, the number of forcible sex offenses on campus dropped from nine in 2007 to only one in 2009. While on the surface this may seem like a great improvement, it should cause one to wonder about the story behind the statistic.

By nature, the report only includes crimes that are reported to the police. Especially in the case of sex offenses, many incidents often go unreported. At a school of 16,000 undergraduates, it is highly unlikely that only one sex offense occurred among the student body in an entire year. Rather than painting a true picture of crime on campus, the report may bring to light those incidents that go unreported.

If students aren’t coming forward regarding assaults on campus, something needs to be done about this. This is further proof why BU desperately needs a more explicit medical amnesty policy to encourage students to come forward in dangerous situations. Although BU began implementing an amnesty policy last year, it was not well advertised and many students still don’t know about its existence. If students don’t have to fear that they will face disciplinary action from BU, then they will be more likely to report incidents that involve violations of BU’s alcohol policy.

The purpose of requiring schools to report statistics is to help raise awareness about crime on campus, but there is certainly work to be done in encouraging students to report offenses. Although the Clery Act, which is what requires schools to issue yearly crime reports, has good intentions, it is not giving an accurate view of life on campus. In order to change this, BU needs to better advertise its medical amnesty policy that all students are aware of and make an effort to encourage students to come forward about crime.