Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Making the deadline

With Election Day only three weeks away, those who have not yet registered to vote should do so immediately, as today marks the voter registration deadline for the Massachusetts general election. Although many may be tempted to request an absentee ballot from their home state, during students’ time in Boston, involvement in local politics is even more critical.

Many students may think that voting in Mass. is unimportant, as their permanent residence is in another state. But considering BU students spend about two-thirds of their year in the city of Boston, knowledge of and participation in Mass. politics are necessary for all engaged citizens. The policies of the potential governor’s candidates will have a direct effect on issues critical to BU students, among them taxes, the MBTA and government spending.

Far from being immaterial, the outcomes of the Nov. 2 election will have a major impact on all students in Boston. For the duration of students’ undergraduate experience, Mass. politics will have a more direct effect on their life than that of the state from which they come.

Often, college students fail to register to vote because they are either too busy or unsure of how to go about doing so. However, this is no excuse, as organizations such as TurboVote have made it unprecedentedly easy for busy college students to register, even text messaging students reminders prior to the election. With a system that makes registering to vote so simple, there is no reason why all students should not take advantage of it.

Whether you ultimately choose to vote in Mass. or in your home state is an individual choice, but it is critical that you register to vote somewhere. It may be clich?, but voting is truly the first and most important step in making your political voice heard. Those who fail to register to vote in Mass. have no right to complain about problems with the government, as they made a deliberate choice not to have a say in state politics.

Registering to vote is one of the most important duties we have as citizens. For those of you who have not yet done this, today is your last chance. Don’t miss it.