Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Don’t act, do tell, again

Opponents of the controversial “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy barring openly gay men and women from serving in the military saw a glimmer of hope on Tuesday when Judge Virginia Phillips of Federal District Court issued an injunction blocking enforcement of the policy, declaring it unconstitutional. But any hope that the outdated law was finally on the verge of being overturned was stifled when the Department of Justice asked for an emergency stay to be placed on the decision while the ruling is appealed.

For an administration that has vowed on numerous occasions to end “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the Obama administration has been remarkably inactive in its pursuit of repeal. Instead of supporting the repeal of a policy that the president claims to personally believe is unjust, his administration has done nothing but put up yet another obstacle to repeal by appealing the court decision. As justification, White House officials said that an immediate repeal would cause “significant and immediate harms” to military operations.

Excuses such as these are the reasons why the nation is still stuck with a destructive and discriminatory policy. Exactly what harm the White House thinks will be caused to the military by immediately repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell” is unclear, but will surely pale in comparison to any harm that has already been caused by the unjust law.

According to the Government Accountability Office, the military has discharged more than 14,000 service members due to the policy since its enactment in 1993, including many with critical skills in language, intelligence and counterterrorism. While these individuals are not allowed to serve, the military has given conduct waivers to convicted felons and lowered educational and fitness requirements in order to increase the size of the military.

It is clear that President Barack Obama does not want to take action in the time right before the midterm election. But now is the best time for something to be done. If Republicans take over the Senate after the election next month, the chances of repeal will grow even slimmer, as there is no gurantee that a Republican controlled Congress would repeal the policy.

Obama and Press Secretary Robert Gibbs continue to maintain that “don’t ask, don’t tell” will end under this administration. But talk about ending the policy has gone on too long. It is time for Obama to stop putting up roadblocks against repeal and clearly support his position. After months of talk, the time has come for immediate action.