Pair of m. soccer players take AE weekly honors

Junior forward/midfielder Stephen Knox and freshman back Kelvin Madzongwe of the Boston University men’s soccer team have been named America East Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively.

Knox assisted on three of the Terriers’ four goals in their two 2-0 victories this week. Against the University of Vermont on Wednesday, he set up BU’s co-leading scorers, junior forward Ben Berube and senior forward Aaron O’Neal, with lead passes for both of the team’s goals. On the road Friday against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, Knox’s shot in the first half bounced to senior midfielder Ben Havey, who put it away for the game-winning goal.

Knox was also named AE Co-Player of the Week on Nov. 2, 2009.

This is the second time Madzongwe, a Zimbabwe native, has been named Rookie of the Week this season. He also received the honor on Sept. 27. He has stood out as part of a defensive line that has posted three consecutive shutouts &- over the University of Hartford, Vermont and UMBC &- in its last three games.

Madzongwe has started all 13 games in his freshman season. At 6-foot-2, he is the tallest member of the starting back line, and he has become one of the anchors of a Terrier defense that has put together six shutouts and helped the team to a 9-3-1 overall record. This weekend’s shutouts propelled BU into first place in AE with a 4-0-0 conference record and 12 points.