Amid DADT uncertainty, Pentagon allowing gay recruits

As of Friday, the Pentagon is accepting openly gay recruits in the military for the first time ever.

After a decision by Federal Judge Virginia Phillips last month found the military’s Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy in violation of the constitution, the Judicial Department appealed the ruling.

But even as appellate courts may restore DADT, the Pentagon told recruiters on Friday that if an applicant for the armed forces is openly gay, the recruiter can still admit the applicant provided all other qualifications are met.

However, applicants should be informed that DADT could be reinstated by a successful appeal, the Pentagon told recruiters.

On Tuesday, Phillips turned down a request from the department to issue a stay on the ruling, meaning that the military must allow openly gay members in the military unless another ruling is made to contradict this.

President Barack Obama has said he supports a repeal of DADT, but through the legislature and not the court system.

Some soldiers who had been discharged by the military for being homosexual attempted to reenlist on Tuesday, with mixed success as some recruiters said they had not been informed of the change in policy.

Still, gay rights advocates applauded both the Pentagon’s orders and Phillips’ denial of a stay.

“Judge Phillips once again did the right thing for our national security,” said Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese in a statement. “We call on the administration not to appeal her decision. DADT is an unconscionable law that forces brave lesbian and gay Americans to serve in silence and has forced 14,000 patriotic Americans out of the military. The law is detrimental, not only to our national security, but also to the core American value of fairness.”