M. soccer looking to stay undefeated in AE

Roughly one year ago, the Boston University men’ s soccer team found itself in a precariously

similar situation to the one it is currently in as it enjoys the success of a season-high unbeaten

streak and playing their best soccer with a matchup against University of New Hampshire.

Last season, however, the game against the Wildcats proved to be a turning point for the Terriers

as they were dealt a devastating blow in the form of a 2-1 loss. It was ultimately a setback they

did not recover from as they finished out the season losing four of their final six games and

missing out on the NCAA Tournament after a promising 7-2-2 start.

Hoping for history not to repeat itself this time around, the Terriers (9-3-1, 4-0-0 America East)

will head north to Durham, N.H. for a Saturday game against the Wildcats (5-3-5, 0-2-2).

BU will look to extend its season-high six-game win streak, as well as cushion its lead atop the

conference standings with a win.

Perhaps what has been the most impressive aspect of BU’ s win streak has been the balance

displayed by a team that many thought to be offensively oriented before the season.

However, the defense, including redshirt freshman goalkeeper Brandon Briggs, has progressed

throughout the season and developed into a true strength for this team. Buoyed by veteran

players such as junior Colin Henry and energized by freshmen such as Kelvin Madzongwe,

the two-time AE Rookie of the Week, the Terrier defense has not given up a goal since Oct. 2

against Stony Brook, a period of time just over 270 minutes.

Briggs has subsequently seen his goals-against average drop from 1.43 before the win streak to a

0.92 average after the Terriers’ last game against Providence College.

The offense has also been anything but disappointing. The BU attack has averaged 2.17 goals

per game in its last six games, helped largely by junior midfielder/forward Ben Berube who has

accounted for six of the Terriers’ 13 goals in that span.

Equally crucial has been the play of senior striker Aaron O’ Neal and junior forward/midfielder

Stephen Knox, the reigning AE Player of the Week. In the team’ s last four games, O’ Neal has

collected two goals and an assist, while Knox has contributed four assists in this same period of

time.

Despite the fact that the Terriers have not lost a match in over a month, UNH presents a very

distinct threat.

The Wildcats were one of a handful of teams expected to contend for the conference title at the

beginning of the season, and they certainly looked the part with an impressive 5-0-2 run through

their first seven games. Since then, UNH has gone winless in its past six matches, four of which

were against conference opponents.

Nonetheless, the Wildcats boast one of the top defenses and one of the top goalkeepers in the

conference, senior Chris O’ Donnell. The unit has allowed an average of only 0.54 goals per

game. They have posted shutouts in three of their last four matches.

“Obviously defensively, they’ re very good,” said BU coach Neil Roberts. ” We have to break

down what they do defensively in order to win, it’ s that simple.”

The problem for this UNH team throughout the season has been the consistently anemic play

of its offense, a group that has only scored seven goals in 13 games this season (0.54 goals per

game).

In fact, the Wildcats have not scored a goal since their 1-0 win over Fairfield University on Sept.

28.

In addition to breaking through against a stout UNH defense, this BU team will look to maintain

its focus in hopes of extending its win streak by just another game.

For this Terriers team, its recent wave of success hasn’ t been an impediment to their aspirations.

BU knows for a fact that there is much more that they want and need to accomplish before this

season can truly be labeled a success.

“We’ re playing well and getting some wins,” Roberts said. ” But as far as what their goals were

for the season, we haven’ t accomplished any of those yet.”