Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Protesting disrespect

Planned Parenthood is supposed to serve as a safe haven for women in need of help. But for many who seek the assistance of the organization’s Commonwealth Avenue branch, their trips are disrupted by Operation Rescue: Boston &- a group that stands outside the building every Saturday morning to dissuade women from getting abortions.

The activists of Rescue Boston attempt to do this by saying prayers, singing hymns and guilt tripping those entering Planned Parenthood. Thanks to a 2007 bill, the protesters are required to stand at least 35 feet away from abortion clinics in order to minimize harassment of patrons. However, the harassment that is performed from that distance is still excessive and inappropriate, especially so close to a college campus filled with impressionable young women.

If pro-lifers want to protest the legality of abortions, they should go through the appropriate political channels to achieve this change, instead of harassing confused, scared college students. Although they may change a few minds every week, this is a product of a guilt trip and a momentary change of heart, and often does not represent a true change in the person’s conscience.

The people protesting outside of Planned Parenthood have no knowledge about the backgrounds or motivations of the women they confront, making their opinions both irrelevant and insensitive. Their actions may also deter women who are not seeking abortions from entering the clinic, discouraging people from attending doctor’s appointments and attempting to be safe.

Although they have the legal right to protest, this is not the appropriate way of dealing with the situation, instead coming across as tactless and out of place. When dealing with such a sensitive situation that is so highly dependent on individual circumstances, getting in people’s faces is simply the wrong way of convincing people to change their minds.

Although pro-life activists have a right to protest in support of their beliefs, those who stand outside of Planned Parenthood should learn a more respectful way of doing so.