Features

Cheers for sweetness

In May of 2008, a cupcake shop aptly named “Sweet” was opened by Courtney Forrester on Massachusetts Avenue in Boston.

Forrester, who has a “self-proclaimed sweet tooth”, according to store’s website, established the business after deciding to do something about “the lack of bakeries and lack of availability of freshly baked goods in [her] neighborhood.”

Recognizing “the evolution of bakeries dedicated to cupcakes in other cities” and the “need…for freshly baked treats in an urban environment” such as Boston, a press release said, Sweet has expanded to two other locations since its inception, one on Newbury Street and another in Harvard Square.

The cupcakes are made fresh every day at Sweet’s bakery in Hyde Park.

BU CONNECTION

As a Boston University alumna who majored in journalism, Forrester said, “a communications background enabled me to hold positions in a variety of different organizations that have all shaped Sweet.”

She said she worked as director of public relations at Four Seasons Hotel in Boston and also as director of special events at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.

Those positions enabled her to “hone her skills at creating seamless and perfect events, focusing on unique and special touches,” all of which are now crucial in her relatively new business venture, she said.

“Boston University gave me a great foundation with communication a key element for a business that operates in four locations, as well as an appreciation for the city and neighborhood,” she said.

Forrester said that she has always been passionate about baking and entertaining, and when her first child was born, she spent several months perfecting cupcake recipes.

Although the transition from baking for a small group at home to baking for the masses seems daunting, Forrester seems unfazed and prideful that she has not had to compromise the quality of her baked goods in the process.

“I am fortunate to have an experienced and talented team of people that have helped me to create, adapt and improve recipes, learn about commercial baking and create delicious and beautiful cupcakes while still adhering to my initial vision of freshly baking from scratch each day,” she said.

FOR ALL TASTE BUDS

Sweet has plenty of cupcake flavors to satisfy everyone’s tastes. Not only do they carry the daily classic Sweet flavors such as Cappuccino, Organic Karat and Boston Cream Pie, there are also seasonal cupcakes, such as Caramel Apple in the fall, Mocha Mint Chip in the winter, Chocolate Rhubarb in the spring and Strawberry Shortcake in the summer. In addition, there are special holiday cupcake flavors such as Eggnog and Candy Cane.

Some of Sweet’s most unique cupcakes, according to Forrester and Sweet’s Area Manager, Nicole Davis, include a Pina Colada cupcake, “a non-alcoholic version of the cocktail complete with its own umbrella,” a Pink Lemonade cupcake, a Buttermilk and Blueberry Pancake cupcake that even included syrup on the side, and a Buttered Orange Cider cupcake that contained orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg.

In addition, Sweet tries to “to keep up with trends,” Davis said. For example, this summer they had a Green Tea cupcake on its menu.

New recipes are tested in the same Hyde Park bakery from which all the cupcakes come each day. The recipe testing is spearheaded by Rob MacLeod, “a Dancing Deer[Baking Company] veteran,” according to Forrester.

Winter cupcakes are being tested, the latest creations including an Angel Food cupcake and Hot Chocolate cupcake that will debut in January.

When asked about her personal favorite cupcake, Forrester chose the Sweet Cake, a “white vanilla cake as opposed to a yellow cake.”

Davis said she had trouble picking a preference but the Sweet Cake was one of her favorites, along with the Boston Cream cupcake.

“[It is] a sweet chiffon cake filled with homemade pastry cream topped with chocolate ganache and a frosting “cherry’,” Davis said on the latter.

Sweet’s best-selling cupcake is the Red Velvet cupcake, Forrester said.

“[It is] a traditional red velvet recipe that evolved from several southern cookbooks, topped with a swirl of cream cheese frosting and finished with a delicate chocolate curl,” she said.

Interestingly, this best-seller was not initially even offered on the menu. Instead, it came from a customer suggestion, she said.

“We listen carefully to feedback from our customers in order to serve the most delicious cupcakes that we can,” she said.

She said Sweet works hard to avoid waste.

“We invest a lot of time and collect a lot of data to estimate just the right amount of cupcakes in each flavor in all of the stores to please the customers every day,” she said.

She said at the end of each night some leftover cupcakes may be given to employees and the shop’s neighbors, while others would end up as food donations.

“YOU’RE IN A CUPCAKE”

Although the quality of the cupcakes is priority, ambiance is nevertheless an important factor.

“[You] feel like you’re in a cupcake,” Davis said on the impression one gets when walking into Sweet.

Forrester said Local designer Annsley McAleer and local architect Diane Lim designed the store’s interior.

The “Grille Modern” wallpaper design from Studio Printworks “has become a signature of Sweet, as well as our pink tufted fabric which appears in different iterations in each location,” Forrester said. At the Newbury Street location, valences were installed “with the hopes of a traditional patisserie type feel.”

Each location has a plasma screen television, which, according to Davis, was originally installed for images but now is always playing a classic movie, further contributing to Sweet’s charming and comfortable atmosphere.

Overall, Forrester is pleased with the shops’ design.

“Annsley did a wonderful job of capturing my vision which was a combination of whimsy and function, and all on a tight budget,” she said.

Sweet also caters by “[providing] cupcakes for a variety of events and weddings,” Forrester said. And she certainly enjoys these large orders.

“It is always a special privilege to be included in a special celebration, she said. In order to concentrate on baking the best possible cupcakes for an event, “we usually limit other orders of this type within that timeframe so that we can focus and provide the very best cupcakes possible.” ??

There are many bakeries in and around Boston, but few sell solely cupcakes, which is what makes Sweet so unique.

“I think it’s the simple small indulgence of a cupcake,” Davis said when asked what is it about cupcakes that make them special enough to start a business around on them only. “The idea of buying just a small treat is what’s really appealing.”

Regarding future expansion, Forrester said, “There are certainly places I would love Sweet to be and will always be open to ideas, but I would not want to compromise quality for quantity.”??