Hit the books: A guide to study lounges

Shelton Hall's ninth floor study lounge. | By Michelle Simunovic, DFP staff

It’s the night before that first final.  The guy in the next room is simultaneously blasting Pink Floyd from his computer, watching Monday Night Football and carrying on a vigorous conversation with his girlfriend about the best item on the menu at Cane’s (it’s the chicken fingers). When finals are looming around the corner and dorm rooms are no longer the study haven they once were, it is crucial for students to have other places to turn to for a productive study atmosphere on campus. The following is The Daily Free Press’ guide to the best places to study on-campus with little to no distractions.

Shelton Hall study lounge

Shelton Hall, located at 91 Bay State Road, is home to a study lounge that provides a convenient place for students residing in East campus to crack the books. The Shelton study lounge on the ninth floor is an ideal place to study because it not only provides a quiet atmosphere to get work done, but also a stunning view of the Boston skyline. Dining Services also runs Late Nite Café at Shelton until 2:00 a.m., so if a study sessions runs late, there are always snacks and fried food to be had merely floors away.

Some students said that the view of Boston from the Shelton study lounge provides a much-needed break from the sometimes dreary atmosphere of Mugar Memorial Library.

“The view is incredible which makes it bearable to stay inside and study on nice days,” said College of Arts and Sciences junior Aditi Narayan. “There are plenty of tables and quiet and talking allowed study room options.”

“When I’m studying I like to be isolated from distractions but without the claustrophobic feeling of those damned Mugar cubicles,” said CAS junior Pamela Bilewicz.

Third floor of the George Sherman Union

A world away from the overwhelming hustle and bustle of the first floor of the George Sherman Union, the third floor of the GSU is a sanctuary for students looking to hunker down and get some serious studying done. An open study atmosphere, the third floor of the GSU is host to a number of couches and armchairs that are perfect for students who plan on studying with a small group of classmates. There are no monitors as there are in some of the official study lounges elsewhere on campus, so quiet conversation is usually tolerated. With the GSU food court two floors away and Mugar Memorial Library right next door, the two most important things to any study-bound student, food and books, are in close proximity.

Mugar Memorial Library

The library may seem like an obvious place to study, but the first floor of Mugar Memorial Library is perhaps one of the most resourceful places on campus for students to prepare for finals. With an enormous bank of computers, the first floor of Mugar provides students with Internet access for whatever their study (or procrastinating) needs may be. The library’s print center is also located on the first floor, which students can use to print out documents for free.

CAS junior Leslie Guthrie said that the versatility that the first floor of Mugar offers is what makes it one of her favorite places to study on campus.

“I can listen to music, write a paper and run into friends who are in the same study ship as I am,” she said. “Plus I don’t have Microsoft Office so I sort have to be there to get anything done.”

The third floor of Mugar is home to the PAL study lounge, which is a more conducive atmosphere for group studying. With couches and armchairs, the PAL lounge is the perfect place to go over exam material with classmates, as quiet conversations are permissible.

Student Village II study lounge

Student Village 2, located at 33 Harry Agganis Way, is home to one of the most panoramic views of the Boston skyline in the city. The 26th floor of the residence hall also happens to be a study lounge open to Boston University students. While the view may be distracting at first, the study lounge at the top of StuVi 2 has a quiet and productive atmosphere for students looking to prepare for finals. For students residing in West campus, the StuVi 2 study lounge is undoubtedly one of the most desirable places to dive into some studying.