Study drugs a temptation for some near finals

Adderall usage common during finals. | By Elizabeth Peters, DFP Staff.

As the first semester comes to an end and finals approach all too soon, many Boston University students experience massive amounts of stress as evidenced by all-nighters, high caffeine consumption and even study drug ingestion.

These drugs, such as Adderall and Ritalin, are typically prescribed by doctors to people with psychological disorders such as Attention Deficit Disorder, Student Health Services representatives said.

“We see many students who are on these medications,” said Margaret Ross, a psychiatrist at SHS, in an e-mail. “Each of the prescribers at Student Health (and also at Danielsen Institute), works with a group of students followed on campus.”

“I can’t begin to estimate numbers [of students prescribed].”

Study drugs, however, can be typically obtained without a prescription, she said.

“Many people obtain and use these drugs even when they do not have the condition and do not obtain the medication legally,” she said.  “There is a great deal of controversy over the use of these drugs, whether they confer unfair advantage, etc.”

The drugs, Ross said, are widely sold and used by people who want to stay awake, improve their focus and improve performance.

BU students generally agreed that study drugs are widely used on campus.

“I have never personally taken study drugs but they are heavily prevalent on the BU campus,” said one student who wished to remain anonymous.  “I know within my close circle of friends at least four or five people I can go to get some.”

“I think people would be surprised to know how many students pop the pills casually to get stuff done,” she added.
Others said though these drugs are common, they aren’t necessarily effective.

“I bet it is common [at BU], but just not with my group of friends,” ” said College of Arts and Sciences junior Katherine Keegan. “We don’t really buy into that stuff…I see the benefits and the downfalls to it so I don’t really hold it against anyone for using it but I think it is semi-common on college campuses everywhere.”

Keegan said she believes taking these drugs is a personal choice and if students choose to do that, then they will suffer the consequences.

School of Hospitality Administration junior Ryan Till agreed with Keegan about the issues on academic misconduct.
“I wouldn’t take them myself, it’s a drug which needs prescription, you probably shouldn’t take it unless it’s prescribed,” she said.