STAFF EDIT: Teachers need to be taught

The Boston Foundation, the largest public charity in New England, released an analysis Monday addressing the logistics of the Boston school system. In an article in The Boston Globe, the foundation’s president Paul S. Grogan proposed the question of “whether this system, so costly and so disconnected from student performance, is in the best interests of the community.”

Grogan’s allegation that the contract is a “relic” highlights an ancient flaw in the school system, one that isn’t in the best interests of the community by any means. Under this relic, teachers are awarded based on longevity rather than the academic achievements of their students. Grogan’s viewpoint of the ten-year system enraged officials of the teachers union. As they work to replace the expired contract, they are negotiating at full force with School Department administrators and amazed that hardworking teachers continue to get the short end of the stick.

On the contrary, the Boston Foundation’s analysis brings attention to a new educational approach that should be taken into effect, which values effectiveness over prestige. Essentially, longevity is no longer important. Teachers who do well should be rewarded and should be evaluated on a regular basis in terms of their ability to relay information point-to-point. Placing value in age is an outdated concept and leaves room for failure.

The education system should be a habitat for recycling. Those who underperform should be removed temporarily, if not permanently, and replaced with those who are willing to take a fresh approach to teaching. Under the ten-year system, it’s nearly impossible to remove teachers who underperform. Their positions should be treated as prestigious and coveted, not guaranteed.
Implementing these lofty ideals, however, is indubitably difficult. Constantly hiring and rehiring teachers places a strain upon school administrations and, after all, there isn’t an endless supply of candidates. Likewise, good careers have benefits brought upon by career loyalty: if longevity is removed as a benefit, what should replace it for those teachers who do deserve accommodations?  These are questions that should be considered. Although the system is flawed, deserving teachers shouldn’t be punished.

The state of American education hangs in a balance. Atlanta Public Schools were placed on probation Tuesday, indefinitely displacing thousands of students. Even as the economic recession continues, cutting school budgets and punishing eager students should not be the only alternative for what is at the end of the day a failure of the states to stick within their means.