Campus, City, News

BU’s ROTC program not affected by DADT repeal

Although the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” is causing many universities to reconsider their Reserve Officers Training Corps programs, Boston University’s ROTC program will mostly remain unaffected except for a possible influx of recruits, a school official said.

Capt. Lindsey Elder, an assistant professor of military science, said the repeal has had “little to no effect” on the BU program. Elder added he was “very pleased that more students will now have the opportunity to serve their country.”

“It will take a little time for the real army to issue any policy changes, but it is not affecting training,” Elder said.

Harvard University and Yale University are two schools that are reevaluating their stance on having an ROTC program.

“The repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ is a historic step,” said Harvard President Drew Faust in a statement on Harvard’s website. “I look forward to pursuing discussions with military officials and others to achieve Harvard’s full and formal recognition of ROTC.”

“The bottom line is we are still going to teach soldiers to treat fellow soldiers with respect,” she said.
President Barack Obama signed the repeal into law on Dec. 22, but change will take time.

According to the bill, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen must also certify that the repeal “is consistent with the standards of military readiness, military effectiveness, unit cohesion, and recruiting and retention of the Armed Forces.”

After certification, there will be a 60-day waiting period before the repeal takes effect.
Mullen released a statement after the repeal was passed last month.

“I am pleased to see the Congress vote to repeal the law governing ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’” Mullen said in the statement. “No longer will able men and women who want to serve and sacrifice for their country have to sacrifice their integrity to do so. We will be a better military as a result.”

“I look forward to working with Secretary Gates and the Service chiefs as we set about the task of preparing and certifying the joint force to implement the new law,” he said.

Although the repeal has not caused changes within BU’s ROTC program, Elder saw the possibility for the repeal to impact students who are debating whether or not to join.

Some students may “feel more free to participate,” she said.

Although more students may now feel comfortable joining, Elder maintained that the program itself will basically remain the same.

“Someone’s personal life doesn’t affect your ability to be a good soldier, or to do your job, as long as your heart is in the right place,” she said.

ROTC students were not permitted to comment.