Niger program’s future uncertain

Although Boston University officials only announced the cancellation of the Niger abroad program for Spring 2011, International Programs representatives said the unstable situation in the country may lead to the cancellation of the program for future semesters.

Executive Director of International Programs Phillipe Pavillard said that due to the Jan. 7 kidnapping of two French nationals in Niamey, IP is assessing whether or not the program should continue.

“We are going to review the situation in the coming weeks and decide accordingly,” he said. “Safety and security are two of the most important elements for International Programs.”

Pavillard said IP would take all aspects of the current situation in Niger into consideration when debating whether to reinstate the Niger abroad program for future semesters, including regulations set by the United States government government employees in Niger.

“There will be presidential elections at the end of January in Niger,” Pavilard said. “We will follow the results closely, contact the American Embassy in Niamey and analyze the information the State Department provides us with.”

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences junior Amanda Matteo was scheduled to study abroad in Niger this semester until the kidnapping of the two French nationals.

Matteo said she was told of the program’s future cancellation when she was informed of the kidnappings.
“We were told Niger would be cancelled ‘for the foreseeable future,’” Matteo said. “So I knew the Niger program would most likely not run in 2011.”

Matteo said it would be unfortunate for future BU students to miss out on one of the most unique abroad programs the university offers.

“I’ve heard nothing but great things about the Niger program and staff,” Matteo said. “It would be unfortunate if students were unable to experience this program again, as well as unfortunate for the staff and contacts who rely on student enrollment in Niger.”

College of Communication junior Paige Buckley, who studied abroad in Niger during the Fall 2010 semester, said she was upset to hear of the programs future cancellation.

“My semester in Niger was the best four months of my life and it is so unfortunate that that opportunity has been taken away from 15 students,” she said.

Buckley said that she is afraid that the kidnappings and cancellation of BU’s Niger abroad program will give students the wrong idea about Niger.

“It is unfortunate that isolated acts of violence by a very small group of individuals have some people thinking that Niger is a dangerous country or a hub of terrorism,” she said.

Pavillard said that while students may be upset by the cancellation of such a unique abroad program, the foremost factor IP considers is the safety of students.

“It is very sad that this event happened and highlighted security concerns in the city,” he said. “Safety and security are two of the most important elements for International Programs.”

“Because of the violence, 15 less individuals will learn about Nigerian culture,” Matteo said. “That is 15 less individuals to spread and share this knowledge with others.”