STAFF EDIT: Call for unity in Union

On Tuesday, President Barack Obama delivered his second State of the Union before Congress.  The much-anticipated speech covered everything from the economy to the Senate repeal of don’t ask don’t tell, with a few jokes sprinkled in between. Considering the volatile state of relations between Democrats and Republicans, Obama’s speech was a much-needed snap back to reality. “There’s a reason the tragedy in Tucson gave us pause,” he said. “It reminded us that no matter who we are, each of us is part of something great.”

This centrist philosophy displays a certain level of optimism that America has been lacking as of late. President George W. Bush pushed a clearly conservative agenda in speeches such as the State of the Union. Although Obama is staunchly Democratic, the way he presents himself – assertively, yet calmly – shows a side of politics that the United States can barely remember. It’s as if that aspect of that democratic process had been erased after years of loaded statements and name-calling.

Although one of the most liberal presidents in history, the President certainly evoked a nostalgic feeling. “This is our generation’s Sputnik moment,” he said while discussing the economy. From his perspective, Americans are smart enough to help the economy bounce back. They don’t need to wait for Congress to compile a bailout. Innovation can foster old-fashioned success.

In an era when Americans are quick to blame their elected officials for nearly everything under the sun, Obama’s advice is subtle but lasting. Personal responsibility is, after all, one of the main principles of the United States. While citizens of this country may have gotten to the point where they distrust government, they must still be held accountable for helping to mobilize it.

This is precisely why Obama’s speech, regardless of his political affiliation, could be a turning point for the United States. The President has power only if people give it to him: he made that clear without disregarding what he would do to ensure that their needs are met. This is a message that Americans aren’t used to receiving. “The future is ours to win,” the commander-in-chief affirmed, as if calling his country to arms. “But to get there, we can’t just stand still.”