Students prepare to give back to the community through ASB

Boston University students who are looking for more to do this spring than return home can find rewarding volunteer opportunities with the Alternative Spring Break program.

Since 1988 the Community Service Center has brought groups of nine to 12 students to communities in need all over the country, according to the CSC website. This year’s registration begins on Jan. 30 at 8 a.m. online, with the CSC expects more than 400 participants for the 36 trips.

Groups travel to locations throughout the country, where they volunteer with groups concerning affordable housing, animal rescue, children, disabilities, environment, HIV/AIDS awareness, human rights, hunger and Native Americans, among others.

The CSC works with many charitable organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, the Harper’s Ferry National Park and the Grand Canyon Trust.

School of Education senior Chrisann Papera, the public relations and advertising committee chair for ASB, said she has a passion for helping people.

“I did it on a whim during my sophomore year, and this is now my third year doing ASB,” Papera said. “I liked seeing different parts of the country, meeting new people and doing something worthwhile. This year I’m going to Nashville, Tenn. to build wheelchair ramps on houses around the city with the United Cerebral Palsy of Middle Tennessee.”

Papera said ASB has never been short of eager students who are willing to volunteer.

“I believe this is the second largest ASB program in the country. I love to see the excitement from the students,” she said. “There’s always a wait list. It’s amazing to see this effort and interest in community service.”

College of Arts and Sciences senior Moneil Abu Speitan is the fundraising committee chairperson for ASB and is also planning a fundraising event for this weekend.

“This Saturday at 8:30 [p.m.] we’re having a fundraising concert at BU Central. We can’t charge admission, but we’re having a raffle and putting out a donations bin,” Abu Speitan said. “We will also be selling pizza that CampusFood.com is giving to us. All proceeds will go to ASB and the scholarship fund.”

Many students who are already members of the CSC say they plan on participating in ASB.

“I’m coordinating the trip to Bronx, N.Y. where the issue area is hunger,” said CAS sophomore Alexa Beychok. “We’ll be working with a community soup kitchen. The organization is called POTS, which stands for Part of the Solution. I’m just really excited to go to a place where I’ve never been to before and get involved with community service.”

ASB offers many trips for those interested in conserving the environment.

“I’m going to Cumberland Island, Ga.,” said Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences sophomore Molly Binger. “It’s a sea island that’s part of the National Seashore. We’re trail-blazing and cleaning up trails and beaches.”

“There are three parts to this trip: trail and reservation maintenance, beach clean-up and historical preservation,” said College of Engineering junior Eric Womer.

ASB also hosts several projects that work with children.

“I’m going to Pittsburgh, Pa.,” said College of Communications sophomore Martin Nolan. “We’re working with children with disabilities at the Pace School. I have never done an ASB before, but I’m excited to work with kids.”

While many students are returning volunteers, some say they are considering it for the first time.

“I would consider it because both of my roommates have done it and said it’s a life-changing experience,” said ENG junior Rahul Modi. “Besides the impact you have on others, it’s a good time and you meet a lot of great people.”

“I would definitely consider doing it,” said COM sophomore Nikki Kaminoff. “I’ve always liked volunteer work. I went to Thailand and Laos the summer before my freshman year at BU to volunteer, but it would also be cool to help people and learn about different parts of our country as well.”

Some students say they are considering ASB because they want to be productive with their spring breaks.

“I generally don’t do much over spring break, so it would be nice to help out others,” said ENG junior George Gjoka.