Students play games at CAS Winter Carnival

Two weeks into the semester, Boston University students took a break from their workloads and winter weather at the second annual College of Arts and Sciences Winter Carnival on Saturday.

About 400 students attended the afternoon’s festivities, which were planned by CAS Office of Student Programs and Leadership and held in the Sargent Activities Center gym from 1 to 4 p.m.

The carnival included games, food, cash prizes and gift certificates, as well as a live performance by the Boston-based band Westland.

Students participated in a variety of activities ranging from taking photos in a photo booth, diving for cash in the Cash Vault, getting their faces painted, fighting their way through the inflatable Rocky River Log Roll, playing giant versions of Connect Four, Jenga and Jeopardy.

“It’s something to do on a Saturday,” said  CAS freshman Danielle Johns. “And it seemed like there was going to be a lot of stuff to do.”

After taking part in various games, students ate free food and cotton candy while listening to the live music.

“It was something to do and a great reason to avoid doing my homework,” said CAS freshman Beth Blanchard.

Gretchen Rowley, the director of the CAS student programs and leadership, agreed that the carnival is a fun diversion.

“[Winter Carnival] is just meant to be a break,” she said, “A ‘welcome back’ after winter intercession.”

Trisha Kumar, a freshman at the College of General Studies, said that she “tagged along” with her roommate who is in CAS because it sounded like a fun time.

BU Bikes, CAS Student Government, BU Juggling Association and BU Global Medical Brigades were a few of the clubs that attended the carnival in order to advertise.

“We’re hoping to get our name out and let people know who we are and what we do,” said Meghan Faulkner, a senior in CAS who was at a booth promoting the BU Women’s Resource Center.

The CAS Office of Student Programs and Leadership is known for providing events and programs that make college fulfilling outside the classroom, Rowley said. Winter Carnival was held to promote leadership, in addition to offering students a chance to have some fun.

“Really, it’s meant to be a fun event to showcase student organizations and leadership, where students organize themselves, not so much faculty or administers organizing them,” she said.