Medical amnesty, off-campus issues on the table for Union meeting

Boston University Student Union President Arthur Emma called BU’s sign-in policy for off-campus students “a huge disconnect” and a lack of access to 24-hour computer labs “a complete injustice,” in Union’s first meeting of the Spring semester on Monday.

Emma, a College of Arts and Sciences senior, outlined Union’s three main issues for its student advocacy this semester, among which were the sign-in policy and computer labs, in front of the 50 senatorial attendees. He criticized BU for not better engaging with off-campus students.

“Not only do we not have a bus system that shuttles off-campus students back and forth, but currently they’re not even allowed to go study [in one of the dormitories].”

Union then steered its discussion toward the closing of the Cummington Avenue computer lab, which was previously open 24-hours a day, seven days a week. However, these computer stations were closed in September of 2009 and relocated to Mugar Memorial Library, which only remains open until 2:00 a.m.

BU cited inhibitive expenses when the Union inquired as to the reason for the move and the subsequent lack of 24-hour access.

“For a school whose goal is to produce a high-quality educational experience, denying students access to these labs is degrading the university’s product,” Emma said.

In a separate meeting, Union met informally with Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore to discuss the possibility of a 24-hour library.

As per usual, Union’s proposal for a change to the university’s policy on medical amnesty was on the table for discussion.

Union proposed to change this policy, citing situations where students have had friends who had too much to drink, but have been too scared to contact authorities because of BU’s strict policy.

Emma pointed out that the overwhelming majority of schools across the river have medical amnesty policies.

“It’s a sad fact to acknowledge, but all of those schools have adopted medical amnesty because someone has died, and I’m afraid that the same thing may happen here before we get a chance to change the policy,” Emma said.

“The only way that you can get medical amnesty right now, if you look at the student handbook, is if you’re sexually assaulted,” said Advocacy Chair Amy Mahler. “That’s a problem. I don’t think that I should have to be sexually assaulted on campus if I drink too much in order for me not to be kicked out of housing.”

Union also passed an environmental resolution that proposed a policy to work with the Student Activities Office to provide recycling services at on-campus student events.

“Currently the SAO is not providing recycling for events, we’re looking to change that,” Co-director of Environmental Affairs Ed Hill said.

Nominees for positions of office were also confirmed at last night’s meeting. Director of City Affairs James Boggie and Senator Jared Kleiman were confirmed as the Judicial Commission.

Additionally, the senate confirmed nominee Howard Male as Vice President of Internal Affairs and Vincent Squillace as Director of Public Relations.

A Chief of Staff position was also, after some debate, created and filled by nominee Taylor O’Brien. Senator and nominee Constanza Ortiz was also nominated for the position of events committee chair, but has not yet been confirmed.