W. basketball seeks 10th straight win in Maine

Tonight, the Boston University women’s basketball team will look to continue its nine-game winning streak when it goes north to battle the University of Maine at 7 p.m. at Alford Arena.

The Terriers (12-9, 9-0 America East) are sitting alone atop the standings in AE with their undefeated conference record. BU coach Kelly Greenberg’s squad has not lost a game since Dec. 31, 2010 and is coming off two close wins against Binghamton University and University of New Hampshire, which were both decided in the final minute of play.

“We haven’t been playing as sharp as we can and we have to get back to that,” Greenberg said. “We are very happy we have been winning, but we can play better.”

The Black Bears (3-18, 1-8 AE) are in last place in the conference, and have lost their last six games. Maine had the opposite outcome that the Terriers had in their last two games, when they  lost to New Hampshire by 20, and Binghamton by 27.

“I think one of the things they have going for them is they get a very good home crowd, so they really have a sixth man factor going for them,” Greenberg said. “In all honesty I’m really surprised they are 1-8.”

BU dominated Maine in their last meeting by a score of 78-40 on Jan. 2, the game that started the win streak. This was BU’s first conference game of the season, and they played very well on both ends of the court. Sophomore guard Chantell Alford scored a then-season-high 22 points in the game to lead the Terriers. Alford was one of four BU players in double-digit scoring, as the  team shot 48.4 percent from the field.

“Everything was going our way that day, but it is different when it is on the road,” Greenberg said. “We have to really be ready.”

Alford has been on fire as of late, earning AE Player of the Game honors in her last outing against the University of New Hampshire on Jan. 29, and scoring 13 points against Binghamton on Jan. 26.

Another BU player who has been nearly unstoppable lately has been fellow sophomore guard Mo Moran. Moran has scored in double-digits in three of the past four games, and has embraced a leadership role by playing 35-plus minutes every night.

“They do a lot of things for us and both of them have a really good feel for the game,” Greenberg said of Alford and Moran. “Most people, when they look at our team, they notice those two right away, and it’s on both ends of the floor.”

BU enters the month of February after an undefeated January. The team has beaten all opponents in America East, and has already started its quest to repeat that feat in their second round against the conference.

“We are definitely taking this one game at a time,” Greenberg said. “Our team’s goal all along has been to finish first. Finishing undefeated has not been a goal of ours, but our number one goal is to get that number one seed.”