Preparing for cold season, SHS doles out 4K flu shots

With flu season well underway, Boston University Student Health Services said it is doing everything it can to prevent an influenza outbreak and keep Boston University students informed of how to stay healthy.

Assistant Director at SHS Chris Valadeo said that the department “has seen an increase in the amount of cases of influenza over the past few weeks,” but he assures that the university and SHS are taking active measures to prevent an outbreak.

Recently, signs have been put up throughout BU’s Fitness and Recreation Center, advising students to clean fitness machines after use and to practice good hygiene when working out.

In addition, David McBride, director of SHS, sent an email last week telling students to consider getting the flu shot which covers the “regular” flu as well as the H1N1 virus.

“We certainly highly recommend that students get the flu shot,” Valadeo said.

“We have issued out over 4,000 flu shots this school year.”

The email also gave advice to students who may already be sick, warning that the flu will generally last for one to two weeks with symptoms of headache, fever and coughing.

“If you are sick, you should remain at home or in your room, taking care to wash your hands and cover your mouth and nose with your elbow when coughing or sneezing,” McBride said in the email.

“Do not return to class or work until you are free from fever for 24 hours.”

The SHS website also provides some treatment information. The site recommends taking fever reducers like Tylenol and Advil and staying in bed.

Additionally, SHS advises sick students to drink fluids and rest as much as possible.

Another page on the SHS website is designed to help students who have friends with the virus.

According to the website, people can become infected by touching something like a doorknob that has been touched by someone with the flu, and then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.

The flu is contagious one day before a person becomes sick and up to three to five days after they feel symptoms.

“If you are staying with someone with flu, try to remain at least six feet away from the person,” according to the website.

“Encourage the ill person to cough into their sleeve or a tissue and wash their hands.”

Students said they are doing their best to remain healthy in the weeks when flu symptoms are common.

“I know a few people who are sick with the virus. I try to wash my hands a lot and watch what I touch,” said College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Andrew Scarpitta.

“Aside from that, I guess I just try to stay away from some of the kids who are sick.”

CAS freshman Caitlin Davis is one of the students who used SHS to get the flu shot.

“I want to keep myself as healthy as possible,” she said. “So I’m washing my hands a lot and I got the flu shot as well.”

“I haven’t seen too many cases of it, but I’m keeping my eyes out to see if any of my friends are sick,” said CAS freshman Lisa Marie Blancato.

“I’ve definitely noticed, especially with the emails being sent out, that the university is trying its best to keep us safe.