Professors explore connection between music, technology

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology celebrated 50 years of advancement and innovation of music and technology at The Festival of Arts, Science and Technology last weekend.

From Thursday through Saturday, about 100 students and Boston residents gathered at the MIT Media Lab on Saturday to celebrate the convergence of music and technology followed by demonstrations and concerts.

The audience watched filmed discussions between scientists and music professors from Harvard University, MIT, Berklee School of Music and New York University.

The relationship between music and people, and how music might affect and help people in various ways was explored at “Music, Mind, and Meaning” introduced by Marvin Minsky, a professor of cognitive science, who specializes in Artificial Intelligence and Music, Emotion and Health, at MIT.

“There are various ways to use music just by listening to it,” said NYU Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions professor Robert Rowe.

Rowe explained that research shows music affects people and their state of mind to the point of changing emotions depending on the type of music and a person’s feelings about the music.

Harvard Medical School professor Gottfried Schlaug addressed one specific use for music at “Music, Mind and Meaning.”

“The interesting part is that art, such as music, has an alternative entry point to treating an ailment or a disease, but even though we should not reduce art to just its therapeutic value,” Schlaug said

During the filmed discussion, Schlaug showed examples of people suffering from disabilities such as severe strokes or Parkinson’s disease.

After intensive therapy with music, the people depicted were able to speak or move without being disturbed by their impairment.

“MIT has always been at the forefront of science and engineering. But the arts are the secret ingredient that feeds the institute unique culture of invention and creativity,” said Tod Machover, a media lab professor and director of FAST, in a press release.

“The convergence between music and technology is apparent with companies such as The Echo Nest, a music intelligence company, which develops music applications like music search, playlisting or music games,” said Brian Whitman, co-founder of The Echo Nest Company. “The lines between technology and musicians, it’s blurred. You are, you have to be both these days.”

Due to her interest in psychology and visual arts, Boston University student Maddie Logan was drawn to the seminar.

“I may not know as much as these people do but it’s really interesting to see that there can be something concrete, such as technology, to merge with something more metaphysical, like the mind,” Logan, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said.

These kinds of events are innovative and necessary, said Pam Steel, a graphic designer for WGBH.

“I find it very interesting to see what they do,” Steel said.

FAST will continue to explore the relationship between music and science throughout the spring semester. The next lecture date is scheduled for March 5.