Earth House residents look to reduce BU’s environmental impact

As you enter Boston University’s Earth House, there is a cozy lounge area and in the hallway hangs a poster that reads “Respect your Mother (Earth).” The 14 residents, who use power-saving outlets in their rooms, all share the same passion: caring for the Earth.

The Earth House is one of BU’s several specialty houses, which cater to students with special interests or hobbies.

Located on 29 Buswell St., the Earth House was created encourage residents and others to be more aware of the environment.

“We were involved in the Earth Expo in front of the George Sherman Union back in September,” said College of General Studies sophomore Angel Rodriguez, a house resident originally from Dallas.

The nearest composting center to Dallas is 45 minutes away, and citizens have to call the city for a recycling bin in order for the city to pick up their recyclables, Rodriguez said.

“It’s pretty cool because now when I go home it’s like, ‘Mom what are you doing? You should be recycling that,’” he said.

Last year residents participated in a compost program within the house, had low-emission showerheads installed, recorded their shower times to track their water use and measured the amount of electricity they used with a wattmeter, Rodriguez said.

“This spring we’re hoping to do a lot more,” he said. “Last year we went to the medical campus and we planted onions on a rooftop garden, which was tons of fun.”

Earth House residents reach out to the BU student community, hoping to attract future residents who share similar environmental values.

“We do look for students who are interested in sustainability,” said Margaret Sawada, the South Campus Residence Hall Association director.

Sawada said that students must show commitment to being environmentally cautious before being accepted as Earth House residents.

“There are a few students who are definitely involved with sustainability efforts across campus,” Sawada said. “So certainly those students we would be very interested in. And then those students who seem to demonstrate a commitment to being involved with the house and events that the house might put on.”

The house, which BU established about 20 years ago along with most of the other specialty houses, used to be more academically based, Sawada said.

Formerly the Earth and Environmental House, the brownstone was associated more with the Environmental Policy Program, but today the house’s residents work more closely with sustainability@BU.

Specialty houses have provided an interesting alternative to regular dorms.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity to meet people that share your interests, as opposed to just a floor that you can go out and party with every weekend,” Rodriguez said. “Sometimes there’s things that you want to do personally to help better yourself.”

While Environmental Sciences majors may be given special preference for admission, the house also looks for applicants who express interest in biodiversity, climate change, renewable energy and environmental policy, according to the Specialty Community Resident Application.