STAFF EDIT: Human jobs in "Jeopardy"?

Since the advent of computers, there has existed a pervading theory that machinery will take over the workforce, eliminating millions of jobs for Americans and flipping the economy on its head. But this week’s “Jeopardy!” competition between IBM supercomputer Watson, Ken Jennings, whose claim to fame is winning 74 consecutive times on the show, and largest game show money winner Brad Rutter has revitalized speculation as to technology’s growing role in the country.
The first day of competition left Watson tied for first place with Rutter for $5,000 as Jennings trailed with $2,000, causing a frenzy of bloggers and Tweeters to praise Watson as an artificial intelligence god. According to The New York Times, computer scientists are working on understanding what’s called the “Paris Hilton problem,” or the ability of computers to pick out voice distinction and essentially interact as a multi-layered mirror of a thinking human being.
Of course, this has led computer scientists to reevaluate the computer’s potential role in society. It stands to reason that the future of the workforce doesn’t lie in the hands of a “Jeopardy!” contest and that humans will be able toexist in harmony with artificial intelligence for many years to come. Watson’s potential commercialization, even if it does eliminate certain jobs, will require maintenance that can only come through organic means – that is, robots needs humans to maintain and take care of them. Likewise, after the Internet and what has now come to be regarded as basic technology inspired worldwide panic, new jobs appeared: imagine a world without social media consultants, application developers and video game consultants.
What is apparent is that engineers will be the ones to decide the future and change the entire job world, which will require some self-reflection on their part. Technology has improved the economy by increasing industrialization not only through what it brings to the table but through company investments, but has the potential to decrease creativity and reduce human value as it relates to economy. At this point, however, technology has only proven itself a valuable addition and should be embraced in time of a recession. While the “Jeopardy!” contest is riveting, its impact is yet to be determined but should be welcomed.