As Valentine's Day shoppers pack Comm. Ave. stores, students debate holiday's merits

Katy Gagnon, manager of the CVS located at 900 Commonwealth Ave., said in the past week the store has sold almost all its merchandise.

“Right now if you look it’s empty . . . maybe a few chocolate hearts left here and there,” she said in a phone interview.

About 90 percent of the Valentine’s Day items were gone as of Monday at 6 p.m., she said.

“The last day two days before Valentine’s sees the majority of sales,” she said.

Meanwhile, further down the block at 714 Comm. Ave, Boston City Florist also experienced its fair share of traffic.

Manager Nick Sabokrooh said the store has seen “quite a lot of people” in the past few days.

“[Valentine’s Day] is the craziest time of anybody’s life,” he said in a phone interview. “It’s like giving birth to triplets. . .that’s how busy it is.”

Sabokrooh said this year the store had more customers than last year because V-day fell on a Monday rather than a Sunday.

The store didn’t experience any shortages of flowers, however.

“We always buy a lot so it lasts us through the whole week,” he said.

“Everybody’s a procrastinator so I don’t know if the deal really helped but a lot of people came in today and yesterday”

Some BU students said they drop a lot of money on the holiday.

Dave Friedman, a College of General Studies freshman, said he spent more than $100 on flowers and dinner for his girlfriend.

“It’s not just a Hallmark holiday,” he said.

Others, such as Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences freshman Jessica Burke, said they try not to spend excess amounts on gifts.

“[My boyfriend and I] just mutually agreed not to spend anything for Valentine’s Day,” she said. “[Valentine’s Day] can be cute and romantic, but not necessarily.”

“Obviously the industry of chocolate and Hallmark plays it up and I don’t necessarily think you need to get a bunch of stuff to show their love,” added College of Communication senior Arjona Andoni . “It’s the thought that counts.  Even just a single rose is enough.”

But some students who prefer to dart Cupid’s arrow expressed more cynical views about the holiday.

“I think it’s a B.S. holiday and if you really love someone you shouldn’t cookie-cutter one day of the year to show it,” said School of Hospitality Administration freshman Taylor Levy .  “It’s a waste of money. Flowers die, if people didn’t know that. Flowers die after three days.”

“Everyday should be Valentine’s Day,” said College of Arts and Sciences senior Elan Parker . “[There’s] not just one day to show love.”

Alex Nawar contributed to the reporting of this article