Lorms steps up production during rough patch for BU

Holly Lorms has had a senior season that she will likely not forget.

While this does partially have to do with the talent of her teammates and the impressive season they’ve had (despite a recent rough patch), it mainly reflects how productive the captain of the Terriers has been over the past five months.

“Holly’s done an unbelievable job all year as captain,” said Boston University coach Brian Durocher.

Lorms, who has scored 13 goals so far this season, has a goal in each of the past four games and six points during that span of time. Her 13 goals is almost double the number of tallies she had last season and is only two less than her total output of 15 goals in three years before this season.

Lorms might have scored more last year if it weren’t for a neck injury that knocked her out of play in the last week of the regular season.

“I’ve said this a number of times and I think sometimes people could mistake it, but it’s the highest compliment that she’s helped to direct a third line here for the better part of two years,” Durocher said. “Now she’s playing up in a line where there’s a little more expected of her scoring-wise and she’s answering the bell.

“She’s scored the most goals in her career and there’s no question that if there was a little more depth maybe in the past, she could have been in a different role. Now she’s letting everybody know that she’s also a very good offensive player.”

Last night, Lorms’ goal was the third and final goal that the Terriers would score in their tie with Northeastern University. Only 39 seconds into the third period, nine seconds after BU went on the power play, Lorms picked up the rebound from a shot by graduate student defenseman Catherine Ward and flipped the puck past Northeastern goalie Florence Schelling.

In the other two games that BU played against Northeastern in the past week, Lorms’ goals came within the first five and a half minutes of the game. These goals were critical because of the issues the Terriers have had during the first frame of their games lately.

Furthermore, in BU’s opening-round Beanpot loss to Boston College last Tuesday, Lorms was the only player to score. Her goal cut a 2-0 Eagles lead in half and gave the Terriers a chance to get back into the game.

“[Her play] pales in comparison to the leadership she’s given to this team,” Durocher said. “Right from the beginning, certainly with the help of the other three assistant captains, she’s the one that, I think, is the straw that stirs the drink. She’s the one that really leads by example and has got a great passion for her teammates and BU hockey.”

The team had a scare at the end of Saturday’s game when Lorms left the ice and went over to the trainer. What Durocher had initially thought to be a lingering shoulder injury, something that has ailed Lorms recently, was actually an injury to her right hand. Lorms had jammed her hand on the boards with about a minute and a half left to play.

Nonetheless, Lorms was back on the ice playing last night, even though it appeared she was still favoring her right hand.

It is critical that Lorms remains healthy for the upcoming games that BU has against University of Maine. With the injuries to freshman phenom forward Marie-Philip Poulin, who is second on the team in scoring with 22 goals, and sophomore forward Taylor Holze, the Terriers will need Lorms to continue her strong offensive play and help BU maintain its lead over BC in Hockey East.