W. hockey faces NU for third time in five days

For the third time in five days, the No. 3 Boston University women’s hockey team will take on Northeastern University. This time, however, when the puck drops at 5 p.m. at Boston College, it will have a slightly different spin: the Terriers and Huskies will face off in the consolation game of the Beanpot.

The Terriers (24-4-3, 14-2-3 Hockey East) swept regular season play against Northeastern (14-11-6, 6-9-4 HE) this season, shutting them out 3-0 in December and taking a home-and-home series over the weekend.

On Friday night, in front of an abnormally large crowd of 1,005, senior captain and forward Holly Lorms, junior forward Jenn Wakefield and freshman forward Kaleigh Fratkin scored a goal apiece in the first half of the game to give the Terriers a sizeable lead. The Huskies, however, fought back and tied up the game on one goal in the bottom half of the second frame and two quick goals in the beginning of the third period.

Senior forward Lauren Cherewyk served as the hero as she scored the game-winning goal, her second tally of the season, while the team was short-handed 6:40 into the third frame.

“Lauren Cherewyk scored a big goal Friday night,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “While she isn’t going to reach the number of goals she may have hoped for or had in the past, big goals can go a long way in making everybody pretty happy around here.”

Saturday’s game showcased the Terriers’ offensive power with a 5-1 blowout.  BU took an early lead when Lorms scored in the first period. It was the third straight game that Lorms has scored in, and she has a total of five points during this streak.

Junior defenseman Carly Warren added a tally in the second frame when she shot the puck off Northeastern goalie Leah Sulyma’s shoulder. The puck bounced straight up into the air and landed in the goal to increase the Terriers’ lead.

In the third frame, Lorms added another goal, and Wakefield followed suit with two straight goals, the second of which was a power-play tally that finished the scoring for BU. The Terriers are ranked ninth in the nation for their power play, but that unit has been struggling as of late.

“We all want to try and get on the same page on the power play,” Durocher said. “It seems like we’ve been making the extra pass where we should be shooting or trying to make a fancy pass when we should maybe be making an elementary one. We’ve just got to get a little bit more in sync and see if we can’t get the puck to the net, get a little more fight in front of the net and get our confidence back on the power play.”

The biggest issue that the Terriers are going to have to handle going into Tuesday’s game is the possibility of another injury. Right before Northeastern freshman Katie MacSorley scored to account for the final score of 5-1, Lorms skated off the ice holding her right hand. What Durocher initially thought was an issue with Lorms’ shoulder—something that has been ailing her lately—turned out to be a hand injury. It appears Lorms jammed her hand into the boards.

“Our doctors and people will get a look at it [Monday] and we’ll know more about it this afternoon,” Durocher said.

BU is already dealing with injuries to freshman forward Marie-Philip Poulin and sophomore forward Taylor Holze. Another injury, especially one to a key player such as Lorms who has really stepped up her game recently, could be a major loss for the team.