Blue State Coffee stirring up donations for BU community

The Blue State Coffee house has drawn in Boston University students not only by offering fresh brewed coffee and friendly service, but also by giving customers the opportunity to contribute to the BU Community Service Center.

Blue State Coffee, located on Commonwealth Avenue in West Campus, donates 2 percent of its proceeds to four organizations every sales quarter.

This semester they have added BU’s CSC and the Alternative Spring Break program to the group of organizations supported.

“ASB and the Community Service Center approached me and asked how we can become one of the organizations [up for vote],” said Manager Ryan Ludwig. “I told them people can come in and drop suggestions, and their efforts came out strong.”

Customers help determine how much the organizations receive with a vote, according to Blue State’s website.

After a purchase, customers  grab a chip and use it to vote for the organization he or she wants to support. At the end of the quarter, Blue State divides that 2 percent among the organizations, in proportion to the votes they received.

“I think people really appreciate that Blue State is trying to be socially active, especially the immediate community,” Ludwig said.

Since its opening in September 2010, the Boston coffeehouse has donated to the Girls’ Lifetime Empowerment and Awareness Program, Boston Playwrights’ Theatre, Match Charter Public School, Boston Natural, Read Boston and Cambridge Women’s Center, in addition to the BU causes.

Customers have the chance to donate to the ASB program and CSC until June, when Blue State switches to a new group of organizations.

Blue State’s collaboration with the BU community, among proximity, quality and other factors, helps draw in the BU crowd.

“I think it’s interesting that they seemed to be helping BU organizations,” said Sarah Robertson, a College of General Studies sophomore. “I think it’s a good thing, especially because it’s [close to] BU campus, and that’s part of their demographic.”

BU customers are planning on taking advantage of the coffeehouse more often after hearing about their contributions to the school.

“I’ve only been here a few times,” said Mary Luther, a second year School of Law student. “[However], knowing that the coffeehouse supports charity organizations and Boston University makes me want to come here more often.”

A suggestion box sits next to the jars of nominated organizations for customers to make their own recommendations, as supporters of ASB and the CSC did.

“The first time I saw that, I recommended Invisible Children because that’s an organization that’s special to me,” said Giuliana Green, a College of Arts and Science freshman. “It’s meaningful to me [because] you know that they’re going to read [the suggestion].”

Green, who has been frequenting Blue State since October, admits it is easy it forget to contribute. Nonetheless, she donates twice a month on average.

The idea of charitable giving with public input originated from owner and founder Drew Ruben, a senior at Yale University, according to Ludwig. At the age of sixteen, he began planning for a business that sold high-quality, fairly sourced and environmentally sustainable coffee that also provided room for philanthropic efforts.

The philanthropic support in the community and the democratic nature of the process, Ludwig said, is one of the characteristic selling points of the five-store chain.

“I think it helps [customers] feel connected,” Ludwig said. “Not only are they getting a cup of coffee for two dollars, but they’re also giving back.”